Chapter 48

"Miss, I didn't mean to upset you yesterday." Louise looked as she came in the class, she shook her head "You didn't, it's fine... I don't know what to call him yet. He's just Hugo." She smiled gently, Louise nodded with a smile "Alright Miss, I just wanted you to know." She nodded and "Well thank you." Jacob came in chatting with Lofty, "Hugo and Grace made you this." He smiled handing her a paper card, she smiled taking it. "Thank you for taking them this morning." "Not a problem gorgeous, I'm going around to my grandparents... You're welcome to join." He smiled kissing her quickly "Jacob." She gasped a little, he shrugged "Could have been worse." He smirked, she narrowed her eyes playfully, watching him walk off to his seat.

Connie stood outside the school, waiting for them. "I think it's amazing what you're doing with Hugo." A woman commented, "Thank you." She smiled politely, "I couldn't just take a kid on." Connie nodded, not really enjoying the encounter, "Well Grace and Hugo get on so it made sense." Connie spoke seeing the pair run out together happily, "You two ready to go?" Connie smiled taking their hands, they both nodded and held her hand walking to the car, "We're going to Debbie and Fred's okay?" She looked as they climbed in the car, "Okay." Grace smiled, "Is Jacob going to be there?" Grace questioned, "Is should hope so, that's where he said he'd be." She smiled, Grace nodded.

She knocked on the door as they stood waiting, Jacob opened the door and Grace skipped in. Hugo on the other hand, looked to Connie then Jacob "Come on Monkey." Jacob smiled taking his hand and guiding him inside. Connie shut the door behind her, turning around she saw Grace happily sat on Debbie's knee, she smiled fondly. Sitting down Hugo came and sat next to her, moving into her side shyly. "Hugo, you remember Debbie." Grace giggled, he looked and nodded a little. Debbie looked to Connie "Jacob's filled me in on what's actually happening with Hugo." She smiled warmly, Connie nodded smiling. "Grace did Debbie say you could sit there?" "She didn't not say." She smirked cheekily, Debbie laughed. "I'm blaming you." Connie smirked looking to Jacob, "What?' He laughed, "My daughter was an angel till you came on the scene... Now she's cheeky-" "Still a Firecracker though." He smirked. "Grace how about we go and get drinks and cookies for you an Hugo?" Debbie whispered, she nodded and got off her knee taking her hand as they went to the kitchen.

Hugo watched "You can go with them." Jacob smiled, he shook his head, "Hugo are you okay? You're very quiet." He shrugged sighing. "Maybe I shouldn't live with you." He looked down as Connie turned to face him properly, "If you don't want to we all understand-" "I want too... but." He went quiet again, "But what monkey?" Jacob smiled, "Grace doesn't know I heard." He whispered, "Hugo you can tell us anything." He nodded "Can you tell Grace not to come in for a minute." Jacob nodded and went to tell Debbie, coming back he sat bed to him. "On the playground, some girls were saying that you don't love her a lot because you're adopting me and they were laughing because she said it's not true... I don't want Grace being upset because you're adopting me, it's unfair... I think she's upset." Connie exhaled, "Hugo, that's not your fault-" "But it's not yours or Grace's... It's always my fault, I just get in the way." "You don't get in the way monkey... Those girls are silly." Hugo nodded "It's Sophie's sister in the year above." Connie nodded, "If you want to live with us, you can." He nodded a little, hugging her "I'm sorry." He whispered, "You don't need to be sorry Hugo." He nodded a little.

Connie came into the kitchen, "Gracie-" "Is Hugo okay Mummy?" She nodded "Yeah... he's worried about you... Sophie's sister-" "Mummy she was being silly... I told her that, I know you still love me lots." She smiled holding the plate of cookies, "Well I'm going to talk with Sophie's mummy." "Okay fine, can I go in there so we can eat these?" She looked, not phased at all. "Okay." Connie smiled watching her skip past. Debbie laughed, "She seems happy enough." Connie nodded, "It's a really good thing you're doing Connie... Jacob mentioned-" "I was in care?" She nodded, Connie smiled a little.

"Hugo, Debbie got us these." She smiled coming to sit with him, he looked as Debbie walked in putting two drinks on the table "Thank you." They both smiled, "Hugo... I don't care what them girls say... I trust my Mummy and I want you to be in our family too... only if you want to though." She looked before taking a bite out a cookie, he nodded smiling "Okay." He also ate a cookie.