Chapter 56

Connie looked to the door as Hugo walked in the room, "Morning." She smiled gently, he nodded rubbing his eyes. "It's still dark." He whispered, "It's not that dark... do you want to get in bed?" She smiled, he nodded and came over. Lifting the quilt he got in, smiling up at her. "Is your room okay now?' She asked kindly, he nodded "It's great." He grinned, snuggling into her. She ran her fingers through his blonde gentle curls, "If you're tired go back to sleep... Monkey." He looked up giggling, "Only Jacob calls me that." She smiled, "Well I just did." He smiled, hugging her "Thank you." He mumbled, "What for?" She whispered, "Everything." She kissed his head gently, "You sleep." He nodded shutting his eyes.

Later that morning, Hugo and Grace sat playing in the living room. Connie marking and Jacob revising, "Con." He looked, she nodded looking to him, "After this year, I drop a class?" She hummed, "Why don't I just drop yours?" She shrugged, "Do you want to?" "If it'll make your life easier-" "This isn't about my life... This is yours." She smiled gently, he nodded "Yeah... I love you." "I love you too." She smiled, going back to looking at the work before her. "Hugo!" Grace screamed making both of them look over, "You're not playing it right!" She yelled frustratedly throwing her toys down, "Sorry." He whispered, "You've ruined it now!" She snapped storming off. "I didn't mean too." Hugo looked to both, Connie and Jacob, "I know... she's a bit grumpy today." Connie smiled gently, "Give her a little space." She added, he nodded going back to playing, meanwhile Connie went up to Grace's room.

"Hugo, go away!" Grace yelled, "Gracie, it's Mummy... can I come in?" Grace got off her bed, drying her eyes before opening the door and going back to her bed. Connie came and lay next to her, "Baby, what's wrong?" Connie asked softly, Grace turned to face her. "It's not about Hugo living here or anything to do with Hugo!" She yelled, "Hey, I never said that... So what is wrong?" "I miss Daddy." She looked, Connie exhaled "He'll be back-" "Soon? You said that ages ago... I was still three then. Now I'm four." She groaned, "I know but Daddy... daddy's busy-" "You and Jacob are busy too... but you both make time for me." "Gracie. You know if Daddy worked over here he would see you." "Why can't he not go on holiday and come to see me, I'm not asking for much." She reasoned, "I know baby... he'll be back." "Fine." She sighed turning over, "Grace, why are you being moody." "I'm not. Go away." "Gracie-" "Leave me alone!" Connie got up sighing, "I'll be downstairs when you want to talk." "Okay!" Connie looked sighing quietly and leaving her alone knowing it was the best thing.

"Sweetcheeks?" He looked, she smiled "She's missing Sam." He nodded as she sat back down, calling him knowing it would ring out she left a voicemail "Sam, can you call me when you're free please." She spoke, placing the phone down. "Hugo?" He looked over, "How about we make cakes?" She smiled, he nodded smiling, "With Grace?" She shrugged, "If she comes down." He nodded, following her as they went into the kitchen, Jacob looked going up to Grace's room.

"Firecracker? Come on, cheer up." He smiled sitting down, she looked "I miss Daddy. You're not my Daddy!" She spat angrily, she watched the smile on Jacob's face disappear, she sat up "I didn't mean it... not like that... Jacob I'm sorry, I just meant I want my Daddy and you or Mummy aren't." She sniffled, he nodded smiling weakly, "I know Firecracker." She nodded hugging him, "I still Love you just as much Jay." "I know... I love you too." He smiled, she nodded, "Hugo and Mummy are making cakes if you want to join them?" She shook her head, "No... Can we take Simba for a walk?" She asked quietly, "I didn't mean to upset you Jacob... You're my step-daddy, not my Daddy." "Hey course we can." He smiled, "I got to pick you." She smiled, he laughed, "Coat and shoes Firecracker." He smiled She nodded kissing his cheek, getting down.

"Me and Firecracker are going for a walk." He looked, clipping Simba to his lead, she nodded and kissed him. Grace came and hugged her gently. "Have fun." She smiled, "You too." He smiled going out the house with Grace.

"Grace, you know I've never wanted to replace your dad?" He looked as they walked through the park, she nodded "I know, I just miss him and sometimes it feels like he doesn't want to be my dad." She sighed, "Of course he wants to." He smiled looking down at her, "Why wouldn't he?" "I'm not smart, I'm just not like everyone else." He stopped still, lowering to her level. She looked at him, "You, Grace Strachan, are one of a kind and that is the best thing ever. You don't need to be like anybody else in this entire world. Being different is good, who wants to be like everyone else? It'd be boring." He smiled, she nodded hugging him "I love you Jacob." "I love you ti Firecracker." Simba jumped up at the pair making them laugh, she kissed his head gently "I love you too."

Grace skipped back into the house in a much better mood, closely followed by Jacob. "Could you two smell something?" Connie laughed, "No but I can now." Grace smirked, sitting next to Hugo. "I'm sorry." She whispered, he nodded smiling "It's okay." He whispered back, "We made cake to cheer you up." He added She smiled "It smells-" "Delicious?" Jacob chuckled, Grace nodded smiling "Yeah." "Alright, Five minutes." Connie laughed looking over, Jacob looked back smiling 'Thank you' She mouthed, he nodded, winking with a smile.