Chapter 99

He decied not to tell her he'd discharged himself, knowing she was working and it'd only anger or panic her. He stopped off at the corner shop, picking up some flowers for her, putting them in a vase as soon as he got home. One handed he put the children's clothes away, taking double the amount of time. Eventually, he decided to have a lie down, letting his eyes grow heavy.

Nadia had picked up Grace and Hugo as Connie had a few classes after their school day was over. At around four she picked them up bringing them home, she frowned seeing the flowers sat on the coffee table. "They look pretty Mummy." Grace smiled, "Yeah, they do." Connie looked at her smiling, "Mummy can we play in the garden?" Hugo questioned, Connie hummed looking back at the flowers, "The door Mummy." Grace laughed, "Oh yeah." Connie laughed, her trance breaking as she moved to let Simba out and open the back door, "Careful, I'm going to get changed, I won't be long... and don't wind the dog up." Connie smiled "Okay!" They both called sprinting past her into the garden.

Connie placed Afia on the bedroom floor, still not notcing Jacob asleep on the bed, she shut the door moving to the wardrobe, Afia trying to push herself up onto her knees. Connie changed quickly, turning around she jumped a little noise escaping her as she saw him lay there. She double checked which was his injured arm before coming to lie on the bed, she gently caressed his cheek, his eyelids fluttering open, squinting at the brightness. "And why are you home?" She questioned, "They let me go." He lied, his eyes not meeting hers "Jacob." She groaned, "Fine I discharged myself this morning... I'm fine, I'd rather be resting at home then taking up a bed that could be used for someone who's actually sick." "Jacob you were shot." "I know that Connie, I'm fine to be home." He sighed, she continued to look at him "You aren't in any pain?" She questioned, "Does it look like I'm in pain?" "Stop it." She muttered, "No, I'm not in any pain." She nodded resting her head gently on his chest. "Thank you for my flowers." "You're welcome beautiful."

They heard Afia grunting angrily, "Con?" He questioned, Connie laughed getting off the bed, "Someone's frustrated aren't they?" Connie cooed lifting her off the floor, "I love seeing you with them." He beamed, she smiled coming to sit back on the bed with Afia, Connie facing her as she began to sing nursery rhymes, the pair clapping their hands, a large grin on Afia's face. Jacob sat up properly, kissing her cheek down to her shoulder, "I love you." He spoke gently, resting his head on her shoulder, she smiled "I love you too." She gently kissed his head going back to signing the rhymes to Afia.

Hugo burst into the bedroom, crying hysterically, blood pouring from his nose. Connie quickly and carefully rushed over to him, "It was an accident Mummy, I promise." Grace looked as Connie carried him into the bathroom. "Gracie what happened?" "I kicked the ball and it hit Hugo in the face." "Alright... you go and sit with Jacob and Afia." She nodded "I'm sorry." "Gracie, you aren't in trouble baby." "Okay." She stated going into the bedroom. Hugo clung to her crying, "Alright, Alright." She soothed, "It... it... hu-hur-ts." Hugo sobbed, "I'm that know sweetheart... right copy me." She smiled gently looking at him, he nodded wiping his cheeks of the tears, Connie carefully pinched the soft bit of her nose, "Hold your nose like this and sit forward." She smiled gently, he nodded sniffling, "Make sure to breath through your mouth." He nodded holding his nose, "You stay here I'm going to get some ice okay?" He nodded. She came back up holding the ice, wrapped in a towel, to his nose gently. "What you like?" She laughed gently, he smiled a little.

She helped him clean himself up and change, they came into the bedroom and Grace ran over hugging Hugo tightly "Careful." Connie looked, "Sorry Hugo." Grace looked at him, "It's okay... it's better now. It was an accident." He smiled, she smiled back. "Con, I think Afia is a little hungry." Connie looked at the time, "Yeah, she will be." She smiled coming to sit down. "Is he okay?" Connie nodded "Yeah, I really wasn't in the mood for another trip to A and E." She groaned, he laughed gently as she fed Afia. Hugo looked over at Jacob, "Jacob!" He cheered, "When did you get back?" "This morning... I was hiding from you two." He chuckled, Jacob lifted his arm as he came over hugging him, "Looks like we are both injured." He chuckled, Hugo nodded smiling "Can we watch a film your bed?" Grace smiled cheekily, Jacob looked to Connie, "I suppose." She laughed, "Yes!" Grace giggled going downstairs to her a DVD, "You going to help?" Jacob questioned Hugo, he shook his head climbing onto the bed and lying down "I don't mind what film." He smiled.