Prologue

Cover by angelanguyenn thank you for the beautiful cover.

Evan places his arm on the small of my back as we follow the waitress to our table. He asked me to meet him here tonight because he wanted to tell me something important, but he couldn't do it where we live as he doesn't want people to know what he has to tell me.

I hope it's nothing bad.

Evan isn't an ordinary person like you and I. He's an actor. Well, he's actually one of the most requested actors in Hollywood. He's been in a number of action movies and I'm pretty sure that you've seen at least seven of them.

Wherever Evan goes there's usually a photographer around the corner waiting for him to do something. So, they could be the first person to report it.

The thing is that the paparazzi don't know who I am and when they figure it out I'm sure they would dig around and find all sorts of things on me.

I just hope that doesn't happen.

At the table Evan pulls the chair out for me and I take a seat. He pushes the chair in for me before he sits opposite me.

The waitress waits for Evan to sit down before she asks. "Can I get you something to drink?"

"A bottle of your most expensive champaign."

I look at him. "What do you want to celebrate?"

A smile spreads across his face. "I got three more movie roles and I want to celebrate that with my Best Friend. Also, I have some other news that I want to share with her."

I grab the napkin that's on the table and I scrunch it up. Hesitantly I say. "Okay?"

It's making me nervous to know what he has to tell me.

"Will you be my Best Man?"

I know woman can't be Best Men.

Evan is the type of person that doesn't care about tradition and if he wants me to be part of the wedding party, then I'll do it for him.

I cover my mouth with my hand, in shock. "You're asking Bethany to marry you?"

I was hoping that he wouldn't do that. I don't like the girl.

He nods. "I got the ring tonight."

Why would he tell me that, he got the ring tonight. When he doesn't plan to ask her yet?

Looking at him I ask. "How are you going to propose to her?"

Evan is on one knee infront of me "I'm going to get down on knee, like this." 

Oh, god. He's going actually going to show me how he's going to do it in a restaurant full of strangers.

He pulls the box out of his jacket pocket. "Then I'm going to say. 'You're the most beautiful woman I have ever laid eyes. From the first moment I met you I knew that my love for you would grow and I see us having a future together.' Then I will pour my heart out to her. Before I pull the ring out of the box. I will end it with. 'Will you Marry me?'

I hope someday someone will propose to me.

Evan continues with showing me what he plans to do with Bethany. "I will then slip the ring onto her finger and kiss her with so much passion that she's going to want to skip dinner and head up to the private suite that I had booked for us."

Aw, how cute.

My heart begins to race as I'm pulled out of my trance with Evan. I hear people applaud as they think that Evan proposed to me.

We're not engaged.

The manager of the restaurant walks over to us and says. "Since, you're newly engaged dinner is on the house, tonight."

"Oh, no," I shake my head. "We're..."

Evan cuts me off. "That's so kind of you. Thank you, so much." He places the ring on my finger and he kisses me.

I feel safe in arms and being close to him, brings back some feelings that I was hoping would die down with the amount of time we've been apart.

It fits perfectly. Why would he make the ring size to fit mine? Bethany's fingers are bigger than mine.

My mind keeps racing with thoughts of why Evan would bring me here and show me how he wanted to propose to his current girlfriend.

I look outside and see a group of photographers taking our photo. "Evan?" I hide behind him as the flashes from the cameras keep going.

I don't like people taking my photo. I'm normally the one behind the camera not in front of it.

Evan looks outside and his face pales. "Shit!" He runs his hands through his hair. "We have to play this out for awhile."

I shake my head. "No, I can't do that." My hands start to shake as I feel scared of what's going to happen and my heart begins to race as I look into the eyes of my best friend.

He places his hand on mine. "You have no choice. We will break up at my parents party in two months." Evan whispers in my ear. "You'll have to move in with me, until then."

I place the glass of champaign to my lips and I take a long drink of it.

How am I going to survive two months with my Best Friend and not actually fall for him?

***