9

"Do you remember when I disappeared for a couple of months." She nods. "I was in rehab."

***

I tell Mom how Evan's Mom found me close to campus very high and she took me straight to the ER, so they could help me.

After I was discharged she asked if I needed help and I said "yes," she was happy with that response and she took me to a rehab centre.

I got the help that I needed, but I kept it all a secret from all the people that care about me the most in the world.

"Mom," she looks at me. "It's all my fault that my baby died."

She places her hands on my face and she makes me look at her. "I never want to hear you say that again. It's not your fault, Ari. It's that crazy bitch that pushed you down the stairs."

Tears fall down my face. "There's something else that I need to tell you."

"Okay," she sounds unsure.

"I can't have another baby. The doctor told me that the injuries I sustained from the fall made it impossible for me to have another baby."

Mom pulls me into her arms and we sit on the floor and cry.

The door to the bathroom opens and Charlie walks in. Her face is wet and I see a few tears fall down her face.

"How much did you hear, Charlie?" Mom asks.

"I heard that she can't have another baby." She wipes her face. "I'm so sorry, Ari."

I hold my arms out to my sister. "Come here."

She runs over to me and gives me a hug. "I want to help you anyway I can."

"Thanks, Charlie." My stomach grumbles. "We should head back downstairs. I'm sure the guys are wondering what's taking us so long." I rise.

Looking in the mirror I see the mascara has been smudged from crying. I quickly wash my face.

Mom and Charlie do the same before we go back downstairs where Dad, my brothers and Evan is waiting for us.

I walk over to my seat which is next to Evan.

He grabs ahold of my hand before I sit. He whispers. "Are you alright?"

"I will be." I sit next to him. "The food looks great, Mom. You should teach me how to cook this one day.

"Maybe, I will. After all you should know how to cook for your husband. Sometimes, you need to give your kitcnenhands a break especially if you want to have a romantic meal."

I look at Evan and mouth. "Told you."

Mom looks between us. "You two are cute together." She cuts the roast. "When's the wedding?"

I groan.

Evan clears his throat. "That's a bit hard for us to organise with me having to be on a film set for the next six months with all the while process of making a movie."