Breaking The News

I walk into the hotel that my brothers are staying in and I sit in the lobby waiting for them to get back from the police station.

Knox taps my leg and I turn towards him. "What?"

He points to a girl that keeps staring at me. "Do you know her?"

"I don't know." As I take a closer look at her I start to notice the blonde staring at me. "Jenny?" I ask.

The girl looks at me. "Yeah," she scratches the back of her neck. "Hey, Ari. I didn't know if you would remember me."

I walk over to her. "How could I forget my best friend. The one that got knocked up and disappeared during our senior year."

Her face pales. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you where I went, Ari. You remember how religious my parents are. They sent me away to give birth to my child. As soon as my daughter was born she was taken from me. I never got to hold her." By the end of the story she's crying.

She had a daughter. My brother had a daughter. Could this girl be my niece? Did my brother and best friend sleep together?

Looking at her I ask. "Who was the father?"

Behind me I hear a male say. "Jennifer?"

She turns and looks at the guy behind us.

I turn as well and see that it's my brother.

She hides behind me.

"Brad?"

He looks at me. "Hey, sis. I'm glad you met the mother of my child."

Now, I have two people to break the news to. I don't want to do this.

"Brad, Jen. We need to talk." I walk away from Shawn and Evan without saying a word to them.

Brad and Jen follow me to the restaurant.

The waiter looks at me. "Welcome to Hotspot. Do you have a reservation?"

I shake my head. "I didn't know we had to have a reservation."

The restaurant is empty.

He looks back at the book. "I have a table in the back corner that you can have. Can I have your name?"

"Ariana," I tell him.

He puts my name in the book. "Follow me."

We follow him onto the restaurant. "Can we get a hug of water please." I look at his name tag and it says 'Collin.' "Collin,"

He smiles at me. "Sure, I'll be back in a minute." He puts three menus in front of us. He walks away to get the water.

"We're not here to eat are we?"

"No," I cross my hands. "I have to tell you something that I learnt a couple of hours ago and it involves the both of you."

Jen frowns. "How does this involve me?"

Brad looks at the table. "I think it has something to do with our daughter. I've been looking for her for awhile now and I couldn't find anything until Bethany."