10.

Evan and I are sitting the living room as the credits roll of the movie we just finished watching. I open my handbag to pull out some gum when I see the disc that my brothers gave me last night. I pull it out and place it into the laptop. As the video is about to play there's a knock on the front door and I look at Evan. "Are you expecting anyone?"

He shakes his head. "No one should have been allowed through those gates without my permission." Evan walks to the door and I follow behind him. He opens the door and I see his brother there with a girl in his arms.

"Are you going to let us in, Ev?" His brother asks.

Ethan? What's he doing here?

"No," he looks at me. "You should have called before showing up at my place." Evan keeps the door mostly closed so us brother doesn't see me.

"Who are you hiding in the house?" Ethan pushes the door open and he smiles when he sees me. "Ari?"

I wave at him. "Hi, Ethan."

He opens his arms to me. "Get over here, girl."

I shut the laptop before I run over to him and hug him. "When did you get back?"

Ethan looks at Evan. "You didn't tell her?"

He shakes his head. "I haven't spent much time with her before Bethany went to Europe."

I step away from Ethan. "Are you going to answer my question?"

Ethan wraps his arms around his girlfriend. "I got back three weeks ago." He looks at the girl. "I want you to meet my fiancé Lisa Hardwood."

Lisa has blonde hair, blue eyes, tanned skin. She looks like she just stepped out of a magazine.

She takes a step forward and holds her hand out to me.

I ignore her outstretched hand and give her a hug instead. "It's about time that Ethan found someone. He used to tell me how unworthy the girls at our school were. I think he was saying that because his brother had dated nearly every girl there."

"Did he ever date you?"

I shake my head. "I didn't date either of them. I was best friends with Evan." I push Evan out of the way and invite them in.

Lisa and I walk to the kitchen with the boys following behind us.

I turn to Lisa. "Do you want tea or coffee?"

"I would like a black coffee with two sugars please."

"I'll have the same." Ethan says.

I fill the jug and turn it on. I get four cups out of the cupboard and put coffee into each cup. "Do you want scones, jam and cream?"

Lisa smiles. "It's been awhile since I've had that."

Ethan sits next to Lisa. "Every week after school Ariana would go home to make some sort of dessert and she would bring it over to our place that night. She spoilt our family."

"You should teach me how to make some of Ethan's favourite desserts."

"I'll teach you how to make them. " I whisper. "That's if you can get away from him. It looks like he doesn't let you out of his sight."