4

I take his hand and we walk into the kitchen to see that the table has been set. There's two candles lit on the table and two plates are set with a silver platter in the middle. Two wine glasses are filled to the rim with red wine.

Evan pulls the seat out for me. "I want to show you how much I care for you."

***

Evan pulls the cover off the platter and inside is a roast. Around the roast is a few potatoes, pumpkin, beans, broccoli and cauliflower. He cuts the roast and places two slices on my plate. "What vegetables would you like?"

"I'll have them all."

He places the vegetables on the plate and pours some gravy over the top of them roast. "I'm glad you're not a fussy eater. It's hard for the cooks to make a great meal when Bethany is so fussy. She refuses to eat most of the food that's prepared here. She makes her own salad and food whenever she stays here. She thinks the cooks are trying to kill her."

I laugh. "Maybe they are." I see one of the cooks in the kitchen and she's preparing dessert for us. "You should let them eat something."

Evan looks towards the kitchen. "I'll be right back." He walks into the kitchen and she talks to the women.

They look at me and send me a smile. Some even thanked me for letting them go on a break.

Evan returns to his seat and places his hand on top of mine. "Is there anything else you need?"

I shake my head. "You should be kinder to the people that cook your food. They could poison it if you're not careful."

He laughs. "They won't do that to me. I have seen the way they look at Bethany when she comes around. With you were the same, but when they figured out that you're nothing like her they were relieved that they could cook whatever they want."

I wish we could have a meal without disgussing his girlfriend. She's not here at the moment. It's the two of us.

Evan looks at me. "Are you alright?"

I sigh. "Evan if we're going to pretend to be engaged you're going to have to stop talking about Bethany. She's overseas while I'm the one here with you."

My phone begins to vibrate and I look at it. I see 'Xanthe' on the screen.

"Excuse me. I need to take this call." I walk out of the dining room and walk outside.

Me: Hello, Xanthe.

Xanthe: Can you come into the office tomorrow with your fiancé. There's a few things that I would like to discuss with the both of you.

Me: Are you going to make-out with him again?

Xanthe: No,

Me: Okay, but if you're going to work with him more I want to be in the room.

Xanthe: That's fair.

Me: How is the new line coming?

Xanthe: I've hit a wall with the designs and I don't know what to do.