45

I'm late by forty minutes to bakery where I'm supposed to meet Lauren.

She's probably worried about me.

I still can't wrap my head around what was revealed to me.

I'm not even sure if I should talk to Evan about it.

As I'm about to walk into the bakery I see Lauren exit the place and she doesn't look happy.

She has her phone up to her ear. "She didn't show up, Knox. I'm worried about her."

She's quiet for a moment. "Okay, I'll call if she shows up." She hangs up the phone.

I walk over to her. "Sorry, I'm late, Lauren."

She pulls me into her arms. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." Looking behind me I see my brother and a woman that I've seen him with before. "There's something's I want to tell you, but we'll have to talk about it at yours."

She looks behind me. "There's two people in suits watching us. Ones a female and the other is a male."

"That's my brother and his partner. We need to ditch them soon. It's not safe for us to talk while they're close by."

Now that I know some of things that's happening in my life I have realised that I don't trust my brothers.

They have kept secrets from me for years and I don't like that.

We enter the bakery and we order some food to take back to Lauren's.

I don't feel comfortable talking at Evan's place.

He might have listening voices planted somewhere in the house.

After all he's been having hush conversations with my brothers for a little while.

Looking at the entrance of the bakery I see my brother and his partner walk in. "Lauren, do you have diversion to get us out of here."

"Coffees on me all day." She yells.

People cheer and they line up to order their drinks.

She looks at the old lady behind the counter. "I'll be back tomorrow to give you the money."

She nods. "Thank you, Lauren." She opens the counter and lets us through. She tells us how to get out of the building and we thank her after getting our stuff.

Lauren takes my hand. She waves to the lady.

"How do you know her."

She freezes for a moment. "Uh..." she clears her throat. "I met her through my first husband."

"You were married before?"

She nods. "To a lovely man that was kind to everyone. He had lots of secrets too, but I didn't find out about them until after he died."

Oh, no. Poor Lauren.

She places her hand on her stomach. "I was pregnant at the time." She gets a look in her eyes that takes her back to that day and she begins to sob.

I pull her into my arms and hug her.

There's no point in me saying 'I'm sorry, because she would have heard it a thousand times and that won't bring her husband back from the dead.

I rub her back as she cries. I whisper comforting words in her ear.

Lauren pulls away from me. "Thanks," she wipes her face with the front of her hands. "It's been a while since I've talked about him and the baby. I miss them at times and then I start to feel guilty because of the love I have for Knox. He made life worth living again after I lost everything I held dearly to me. I'm lucky to have his kids too."