6.

Standing in front of the basin in the bathroom I look down at the pregnancy test in my hand. There's two line on the test.

What am I going to do? I should talk to the father of my unborn child.

Tears begin to fall down my face as I realise that I'm twenty-one and I had a one night stand with my best friends brother.

What is Evan going to think of me when he learns that I hooked up with his brother?

I grab the test and head to my bedroom. I quickly get changed into a pair of jean shorts and a tank top. Putting the test in my bag, I leave the dorm room.

As I make it to the stairs I hear someone whisper. "Stay away from Evan. He's mine." Then I'm pushed down a flight of stairs.

I fall down the stairs hitting my stomach hard on the way down.

My head hits the bottom step.

I feel something trickle down leg and I see that it's blood. I pass out shortly after that.

Someone is shaking me away and whispering my name. "Ariana?" They shake me again. "Wake up, please. You're scaring me."

I open my eyes and tears begin to fall down my face. "It's all my fault."

Evan grabs each side of my face. "What's not your fault?" He wipes my face with his fingers.

I move his hands from my face and I cry into his shoulder. "My baby," I cry some more.

I haven't thought of that day in years. Why did it have to come back to me in a dream? Is there something that I'm supposed to remember from that day? Do I know the person that pushed me down the stairs?

"You never had a baby, Ariana. I would remember if you were pregnant and I don't remember a time that you were."

Pulling away from him I whisper. "You don't know me as well as you think. When we were at UCLA together there were times that we never saw each other because of my roommate Bethany. She made sure that we didn't spend anytime together as she was jealous of our friendship. You spent most of the time with her while I had no one. On my twenty-first birthday, I celebrated on my own. I was drunk when I had a one night stand."

"You got pregnant by that guy?"

I nod.

Evan pulls me into his arms. He whispers. "What happened to the baby?"

Fresh tears fall again. "The day I found out I was pregnant I was going to tell the Dad, but I didn't make it out of the dorm."

He frowns. "What do you mean you didn't make it out of the dorm?"

I shake my head. "I can't..." I trail off as my chest tightens, making it hard for me to breathe.

"Ariana, look at me."

I can't.

Evan slaps my face. "Ari, breathe for me. If you don't try it I'm going to call an ambulance and then you're going to have to talk to someone. I would prefer it if I were the one that helps you through whatever it is your hiding from me. I can handle your secret." He breaths in and out. "Just copy me, Ari."

I follow his instructions.

After awhile it becomes easier to breath.

"I'm not going to push you right now to tell me. You do that in your own time." He kisses the top of my head. "I'm going back to bed."

I feel the bed shift and I grab his hand. "Can you please stay with me tonight? I don't want to be alone."

"Okay," he climbs into bed next to me. He wraps his arms around me as I lie my head on his chest. He kisses the top of my head. "Goodnight, Ari."

"Goodnight," I whisper.

***

The next morning, I wake up to breakfast being placed on the night stand.

Evan has a smile on his face. "Good morning, beautiful. After last night I thought you'd appreciate a good breakfast."

I look at the plate and it has bacon, eggs, and a pancake on it.

The food looks great.

"Thanks, Evan, but you didn't have to it."

Evan sits next to me on the bed. "Yes, I did. I feel guilty about pushing you for information last night. I was shocked with what you revealed. I was just hoping that you would tell me the whole story."

"It's going to take a while for me to feel comfortable with that. I just hope when you learn everything that you won't hate me."

"I could never hate you."

Yeah, we'll see about that.

After I lost the baby I hit rock bottom and turned to drugs to help me through the pain. One weekend Evan's Mom showed up and she saw me.

She took me aside and asked "What the hell are you doing?"

While I was under the influence of drugs I told her the story from beginning to finish. She packed my bags and sent me to rehab. She told them everything about me. Including my story.

The psychologist didn't push me into talking to her, but the longer I stayed their the more I opened up to her. She helped me with the grief of the child that I recently found out about and lost on the same day.

Evan snaps his fingers in my face. "Ari, are you alright?"

"No, but I will be. Are you going to have breakfast with me? Or are you going to stare at me all morning?" Turning towards the clock I see that it's 9am. "Evan, we need to leave soon. Xanthe, wants to see us."

"I forgot about that." His yes hold a guilty look. "Everything your revealed to me last night is still swimming around in my head."

I touch his arm. "Can we talk about it another time? I want to get through whatever Xanthe needs to talk about."

We eat in silence.

After I have finished breakfast Evan takes my plate. "I'm going to have a shower. I will meet you downstairs in half an hour." Climbing out bed I gather my clothes and head into the bathroom. I tie my hair in a bun before turning the shower on. I place my hand under the water until I reach the temperature I like.

Stepping under the shower head I pick up the loafer and start washing myself. I shut the water off and step out. I pick up the towel and dry myself. I change into a skirt and a white blouse. I put on ballet flats. I walk out of the bathroom and head towards the living room.

Evan turns on the couch. "Are you ready?"

"Yes,"

He rises and walks over to me. He places his hand on the small of my back and leads me to the car.

At the car he opens the door for me. He closes it once I'm inside. He rounds the cat and climbs into the drivers seat. He buckles himself in. He places a hand in my knee and drives toward the office.

***