99

I rubbed my eyes trying to get the sleep out of it

I rubbed my eyes trying to get the sleep out of it. I underestimated how tired I was and my body wouldn't stop hurting, I needed pain killers and a lot of them.

"You know, if you're going to be on the lookout for me you're not suppose  to sleep on the job." My eyes met Robyn's smiling one.

I kept my blank face.
"You really had the audacity to get shot." My voice was cold. She only rolled her eyes at that.

"And you had the audacity to get jumped and shot. So I guess we're even." She shrugged.

I kept my face blank, I didn't find this remotely funny.

"This is not a competition Robyn. You got hurt, it's not just you, we have a baby to think about now." I scolded

"I know that Oscar. I'm the one that got shot. I'm just trying to make light of the situation and not focus my attention on all the anger I have at what happened. That woman attacked us at home while I was inside. This is why I want her dead." I closed my eyes taking a deep breath.

"I know baby. But the baby comes first. We can't risk anything happening to the both of you. I can't lose you....."

"But?"

"But you were right. There's no happy ending for any of us if that woman is still alive."

"I wish there was any other way. All I keep thinking about is if it's worth it. It really isn't just us anymore." I reached over grabbing her hand. In less than a week the roles were reversed, now I was the one sitting next to her whilst she sat there on a hospital bed.

We heard a light knock on the door and in walked a doctor and the same nurse we saw yesterday.

"Well hello Ms Tiller,nice to see you awake." The Doctor greeted walking to the clipboard hooked to her bed. The nurse smiled at me and down at our hands.

"So,we managed to close the wound,your vitals are normal,if it were any other situation we would've discharged you but you're expecting. We did a brief ultra sound yesterday just to make sure the baby had a heartbeat and today like we told your husband we have scheduled another ultrasound just to monitor the baby's action again."

I looked at Robyn who was intently listening to what the doctor was saying whilst her hand laid on her stomach and my eyes narrowed on it. In there somewhere was our baby. A baby I wanted so bad.

My Michael Phelps sperms really be putting in the work.

"....Is that okay with you?" I blinked twice looking at the nurse who was the only professional in the room.

She rolled her eyes realising that I wasn't listening.

"Okay, Dad,I said that after mummy cleans up,we're going to do the ultrasound." She repeated slowly.

"Yeah of course."

"Good,My name is Maria by the way, I am your midwife. I was assigned to you the day you came to the hospital." I frowned my head whipped towards Robyn.

When did she come to the hospital?

"What happened?" I looked between Maria and Robyn, Maria pursed her lips looking at Robyn.

"Urhm....I woke up bleeding... and I thought you know...." my chest tightened. She thought she had a miscarriage "...but it was only stress. I was stressed and I had high blood pressure."

"But luckily everything is just fine. Given your history with your previous miscarriage and now this incident we're monitoring you closely. So I'll come back and collect you in about 20 minutes."

I watched the lady leave the room and turned to Robyn who was looking blankly at the wall.

"I'm sorry." I was the reason she was stressed around that time.

"You don't have to apologise Osc. You know I worry about every single thing. I just really wanted you to be okay. I wanted you to be there for our baby."

We pushed the conversation to the side and I cleaned her up, when I saw the bandage on her stomach I winced because I could finally see it now,I spent years memorising her body to notice that she had a bump. Making this real.

True to her words,15 minutes later Maria knocked on the door again with a wheel chair. We helped Robyn into the wheelchair and I wheeled her out of her room following Tracy.

We walked into a dark lit room and I saw some machines I didn't even know what to call it. But we both helped Robyn up and her dressing gown was removed leaving her in her underwear and leggings.

"Is this the first time you're seeing the baby?" I released the hold I had on my lips and my legs stopped bouncing. She could tell that I was nervous and I really was.

"Yes, I just found out last week."

I watched her turn on a little screen and prep for whatever she was about to do.

"So how long have you two been together?" She questioned.

I took a good look at her,she looks about 40 years old and she had this nurturing feel about her.

"Well since we were what 14 and he was 16 was it?" Robyn answered turning to me.

"Yeah, yeah 16 cuz I turned 17 a few months after."

"You look at her the way my husband looks at me and that man was my soulmate." She sent us a sad smile.

"That's because I love her." Robyn squeezed my hand In comfort.

"Okay let's start this." We looked behind her to see another doctor walking into the room.

"This is Dr Hensen he's a sonographer and he'll be performing the ultrasound. I'm just here for emotional support."

"Okay miss Tiller ultrasounds uses high frequency sound waves which in return  creates image of the inside of the body which means in a couple of minute we will be seeing your baby." He went straight to the point.

He put some weird jelly like substance on her stomach and then with only what I could describe as a wand he started moving the wand around.

I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see something,and there it was, my eyes fixated on the little human in her.

"That's a big ass head."

"Oscar." I looked up to Robyn who was glaring at me but like me her smile was ever so present.

"The sac is still intact,baby looks healthy,let's just check the heartbeat."

I never thought something so small like a heartbeat will affect me like this.
I sniffed letting out a laugh at the loud sound of a heart beating that filled the room.

I felt someone rubbed my back and I looked up to see Maria and it looked like she had tears of her own in her eyes.

"That's our baby." Robyn squeezed my hand I nodded unable to find words.

That's our baby

"Do you want to know the gender of the baby?" The doctor looked at the both of us and we both looked at each other

"Yes,yes we would." Robyn's voice was shaky and I could sea her eyes were glossy. She was holding it whilst I was standing next to her crying like a big baby.

"Okay let's check this out.... well it looks like....." he squinted at the screen and I was trying to look at where he was.

It felt like strings were pulling at my heart in different directions.

"It's a girl."