Entry 949: Friday 3rd May 2019

Entry 949
Friday 3rd May 2019

A nice quiet day, which after yesterday's drama is a welcome change.

Blade made an announcement over the public address system today. He explained how there'd been an incident at Tonino's Restaurant yesterday, and that two people had become infected. He said that Marie and the waiter were now in The Hive, and that they were both classed as 'Fatals' due to the nature of their injuries. He said that both of the infected would soon be utilised in contributing to the running of the island. God knows how though. It will be interesting to see. Although, I'm not sure what people will think when they discover it was TJ and I who quarantined the infected rather than killing them. To be honest, I'm feeling a bit annoyed with myself. I should have killed them both instead of shoving them in the loos.

I met with Sci-Fi Cyn at Sails Café and we had a chat and a cuppa. I told her everything that happened yesterday at Tonino's. As I was coming towards the end of my story, Trudy appeared. "I hear you went on a date yesterday," said Trudy. "Yes," I bluntly said, rolling my eyes. "TJ told me," said Trudy. "Did he?" I bluntly said, "And what did he say?" "Well, he was talking more about himself," said Trudy, "He said you had to pretend to be each other because you'd p*ssed off your actual date, and he'd p*ssed off his actual date." "Yep," I said. "So, what happened with your date?" asked Trudy. "She drowned in the soup and died," I said. Trudy giggled. "Oh, Luke," she chuckled, "Usually, the only time you make me laugh is when you've got no clothes on, or when I can see how stupid our face looks, or when you're getting into one of your embarrassing scrapes, but THAT was a really funny joke." "It wasn't a joke," I bluntly said, "She had a heart attack, fell forward and drowned in the soup," I said, "Typical eh? The first date I have in ages, and I have to pretend to be f*cking TJ and then the date dies. By drowning in the soup." "What sort of soup was it?" asked Trudy. "I don't know," I said, "I think it was mushroom. It had these... Hang on... What the f*ck does it matter what sort of soup it was?! It was a bowl of soup you silly cow!" "Do you know if I went out on a date and the guy drowned in a bowl of soup, I don't know what I'd do," said Trudy, "I'd probably never want to date again. I mean talk about being jinxed. Every woman you've ever been on a date with has died." "Natasha isn't dead," I said. "Yeah, but that wasn't a date," said Trudy, "She was doing undercover work. You know I once used some soup to put my ex-boyfriend in hospital." "Eh?" I said, "You didn't poison him, did you?" "No," said Trudy, "He ended up with a fractured skull and two missing front teeth." "From having some soup?" I asked. "Yeah," said Trudy, "It was a tin of minestrone. I chucked it at his head, he fell to the pavement and cracked his teeth on the curb." "OK," I said, "Can you just tell us what your specials are today?" "Soup," said Trudy. There was a pause. "I'll pass," I said.

Sci-Fi Cyn and I continued chatting. She asked what I was going to do about me and Ash. "Oh, I don't know," I said, "Right now I'm more bothered about all this QCUC stuff. If TJ and I hadn't been there, there could have been a lot more deaths. Nikki and that waiter didn't do anything to quarantine Marie or the other waiter. Someone else could have a heart attack and drop dead at any point, and then what? Are people really going to be able to quarantine people who have just become infected? I doubt it. If me and TJ hadn't been there last night there could have been carnage." "Maybe Marie should have been in the quarantined part of Newport because of her vulnerability," said Sci-Fi Cyn. "That's the point," I said, "She didn't have any vulnerabilities, did she? She was just a woman in her forties who randomly died of a heart attack. It could happen again at any point to anyone, and no one has been told how exactly to secure and quarantine infected." "Do you want me to have a word with Jon and Natasha?" asked Sci-Fi Cyn. "Yeah," I said, "I think that would be a good idea."

I think I'm making a good point. It just seems pretty stupid to have all these QCUC procedures in place without any specific guidance on how exactly we should handle infected, secure them and quarantine them.