Entry 870: Wednesday 13th February 2019

Entry 870
Wednesday 13th February 2019

Blade made his announcement today about the growing number of people who think Kyle should be sent back to prison and who think infected should be cared for, and when a few of us went out for a walk afterwards we were ganged up on by a group of angry people.

We were all in the house waiting patiently for Blade's announcement. "The following announcement concerns recent events regarding large gatherings of people conducting demonstrations and marches throughout the Isle of Wight. Yesterday I was made aware of a number of events that took place across the island. These include marches within excess of 200 people that took place in Cowes, Newport and Sandown, and groups of people protesting outside buildings where combat classes were taking place.  Whilst these events predominantly took place in a peaceful manner, some residents have reported being harassed as they leave combat classes and being told that they should not be learning how to kill infected but instead care for them. The conduct of the majority of the people involving in these new protests and marches may be peaceful, and whilst we are all entitled to our opinion and to expressing it in an appropriate way, the message being promoted by these people is not peaceful; it is harmful. The island has a growing number of people who believe that we should treat those who become infected with dignity, and that all infected people should not be killed but instead should be cared for, looked after and quarantined until such time when a cure can be developed. This message is not only harmful but unrealistic. I would like all islanders to listen what I am going to say VERY carefully. One, when someone becomes infected, they are no longer human. The changes to their body internally and externally are severe. They show no signs of love, affection or emotional memory. They do not distinguish between a human being they are related to, and a human being they have never met. They simply see all non-infected human beings as food. I made all islanders aware of this when the outbreak first happened in August 2016. I am reiterating this now. Treating infected people with respect will cost lives. Isolating infected individuals in a quarantined environment is not possible. Gathering large numbers of infected and storing them all in one place will not only use up valuable resources, it will also increase the risk of harm to non-infected people, especially if large amounts of infected were to become free. Safe zones on the mainland were established some time ago, and a number of them quarantined large numbers of infected. All such initiatives have ended in multiple deaths and with non-infected finding it impossible to contain the infected. It has been suggested that quarantining infected is what must be done as a cure, or a vaccine will restore the infected back to their former selves before becoming infected. This is pure speculation. First of all, we have no idea when or even if a cure or vaccine will be developed. Second of all, administering such a vaccine will take time and those who are not infected must be prioritised over the infected. Thirdly a vaccine may cure the infected who were bitten on the arm or leg, but it will not cure an infected who died of natural causes or who was bitten through a vital organ or a main artery. Simply put, a vaccine will destroy the virus but it will not bring people back from the dead. Whilst I fully acknowledge how distressing it must be for someone to see or hear of their loved one becoming infected and turning into one of the infected, the right thing to do for the safety of everyone on the island is – if the person has not been bitten on a limb that could be amputated - to destroy the infected person's brain. I know this is a horrific thing to have to come to terms with and should any infected need disposing of, or should a limb need to be amputated, the increased presence of GRID soldiers on patrol in heavily populated areas means that they will do what needs to be done, rather than a civilian. I have introduced measures to increase safety and reduce risk. I am asking people to work with me. We cannot and should not quarantine infected and if I find out that anyone is hiding an infected person, I will take a dim view of this and consider them to be a threat to the safety and security of this island and take any action necessary. If anyone knows any information about the people involved in the recent marches and protests, including details about any group leaders, please let me know. On the matter of protests regarding Kyle Warm's release from prison I have the following to say; The decision was made that a traumatised teenage boy does not belong in a prison with criminals such as Professor Harold Endo. Kyle's actions on 29th January saved lives and prevented the virus from spreading. Whilst protests and marches have so far taken place in a manner which, in the main, can be described as peaceful, I would like to make it clear that any threats of acts of violence towards Kyle Warm or any other civilian or GRID personnel, will not be tolerated and I will take all and any action I deem necessary to prevent harm and maintain safety. Thank you."