Entry 869: Tuesday 12th February 2019

Entry 869
Tuesday 12th February 2019

It's all kicking off. Kyle hasn't left the house and I think until we know what's going on, he should stay in.

It all started in the morning. I was having a cup of tea with Ash in the kitchen when Kyle appeared. He had his coat and was holding Leo. I asked what he was doing, and he said he was going to take Leo for a walk. "I don't think that's a good idea," I said. "I think Luke's right," said Ash. "I don't care what you think," Kyle snapped at Ash. Roz appeared, asked what was going on and Kyle told her he was taking Leo out. "Maybe you should stay in for a bit," said Roz. "Why?" said Kyle, "I haven't done anything wrong." "So, I guess we're saying that killing a little girl and waving a machine gun at a load of people is doing nothing wrong," said Ash. "You heard what Blade said yesterday," said Kyle, "I stopped the outbreak spreading. Killing those people saved lives. He's going to sort me out with some counselling and he said I could walk about and do what I want." "He didn't say you could do what you want," said Ash. "Yeah but he said I could go out," said Kyle, "God, I'm not a prisoner anymore. I'm out of there. I'm free." Mate," said Roz, "We know that you're free, but we just want you to be safe. Maybe it's a bit early to be going out." "But everything's OK," said Kyle, "The house didn't get petrol bombed, no mob showed up, we haven't had any hassle, the house hasn't been graffitied. I just want to go out. Everything'll be fine. What's the worst that can happen?" "Oh, I don't know," Ash sarcastically said, "Threats, violence, intimidation, murder. Shall I go on?"

All of a sudden there was a loud knock on the front door. I looked through to the living room and saw Mum open the door. Blade walked in with a sense of urgency, asked Mum where Roz and I were and he quickly walked into the kitchen with Mum behind. "What's going on?" I asked. "Well from the look on his face it doesn't look like good news," said Ash. Blade pointed to Kyle. "Why has he got his coat on?" he asked, "Where's he going?" "I'm taking my little brother for a walk," said Kyle. "No, you're not," said a firm Blade, "Take your coat off, you're going nowhere." "You what?" snapped Kyle. "What's going on?" asked Roz. With a concerned yet determined look on his face, Blade produced a piece of paper from his pocket and handed it to Roz. We all peered over her shoulder and looked at what was written. "What the Hell is this?" said Roz. "Well it's not a birthday invite, is it?" said Ash, "Look at it. It's a threat." Ash read out what was written on the piece of paper. "Keep the child killer locked up. Justice and fairness is coming.... The Infected Treated With Acceptance N Kindness. #JFEJ." "When did you get this?" I asked. "I work up this morning and it was there," said Blade, "Someone must have posted it through my letterbox last night so I'd find it this morning." "That's not a threat," said Kyle, dismissing Blade's concern, "It's some naive crackpot who doesn't realise that if someone gets bitten you have to kill them." "Kyle you and I both know that that's not always the case," said Blade, "Ella's life could have potentially been saved." "Potentially," said Roz. "Yeah well I didn't see anyone else stepping forward to take care of Ella," said Kyle, "All those people who were staring and running around scared didn't do anything to help." "They were running around scared because they'd just seen a teenage boy murder a little girl who then threatened them all with a machine gun," said Blade, "And if you hadn't have acted so fast, your Dad may have amputated Ella's arm and she still might be alive." "Hang on Jon," said Mum, "When you made that announcement yesterday you said we should have empathy for Kyle. Have you changed your mind?" Blade looked slightly guilty. I think he forgot that Mum and Ash (who know nothing about the secret deal) were there. "Roz and Luke convinced me that releasing Kyle was the right thing to do," said Blade, "But I am not completely comfortable or happy about it." "Look, can we stop going on about what happened the other week," I said, trying to change the subject, "I'm sick of going over it. Kyle is here and that's that." "Yeah but that note means people are putting pressure on Blade to put Kyle back in prison," said Ash. "He's not going back in that prison," said Roz, "Blade you'd better not cave in." "I have made a decision," said a firm Blade, "And I stand by it but I think Kyle should stay inside. This note may not be a direct threat, but whoever sent it wants justice and fairness, and the note suggests that justice looks like Kyle staying in prison." "What does this #JFEJ mean?" asked Mum. "Justice for Ella Jones," said Blade, "There's a growing number of people who think Kyle being locked up means justice and fairness. They don't just want what they call justice for Ella Jones, they think the infected should be treated with dignity. They think the infected have rights. There's a march going on in the centre of Cowes right now." "What?!" I exclaimed. "A march?" said Roz. "Yes," said Blade, "That's why I'm here to tell Kyle to stay inside. There's no suggestion of violence but I think Kyle should stay inside. Better safe than sorry." "What are they marching for?" asked Mum. "They want Kyle locked up and they want the infected treated with more dignity," said Blade. "More dignity?" I said, "What do they want us to do? Sit down and have tea with them?" Roz grabbed her coat. "I'm going to check out this march," said Roz. "Me too," I said, as I grabbed my coat." "I'm coming too," said Kyle. "Now everyone just hold your horses," said Blade, "We need to stop and think." "Kyle," said Roz, ignoring Blade, "You stay here and look after Leo. Me and Luke will check out this march." Richard appeared. "What's going on?" he asked. "There are people outside marching and protesting to get Kyle locked up back in prison," said Mum. "Oh no," said Richard, "I knew they'd find out where we all live and come here to try and burn us out. Do they have pitch forks?" "Oh, shut up you idiot," I said, "They're in the centre of Cowes. They're not outside the house." Roz firmly told Kyle to stay put with Leo and even though Blade wasn't happy about it, Roz, Ash and I left the house and quickly walked into the centre of Cowes.