Entry 874: Sunday 17th February 2019

Entry 874
Sunday 17th February 2019

OH. MY. GOD. I don't believe what I discovered today. I'm still in shock. To be honest I feel like a stupid old fool.

I was a bit annoyed in the morning when I came downstairs. Ash was in the kitchen with Mum, Richard was in the living room and Roz was in the shower. Ash handed me a cup of tea and I asked him and Mum where Kyle was. He and Mum exchanged award and tense looks. "What?" I said, feeling apprehensive. At that moment Kyle walked through the front door with Leo. I looked at Kyle and then looked back at Mum and Ash. I wasn't happy. I took a deep breath. Kyle can you come here please?" I firmly said. "In a minute," Kyle called from the living room. "No, now please," I firmly said. Kyle appeared with Leo with a frown on his face. "What's with your voice?" said Kyle, "Going all Sergeant Major?" "Kyle, what did I say to you the other day?" I firmly asked. "I don't know," said Kyle, shrugging, "Which bit of which day?" "Don't get smart," I said. "I'm not," exclaimed Kyle, "I'm just trying to figure out which bit of which day you're going on about?" "When me and Roz were with you and Leo in Cowes the other day," I said. "God, I don't know," moaned Kyle, "I can't remember everything. What are you going on about?" "Don't take that tone with me young man," I firmly said. "Young man!?" exclaimed Kyle, "You trying to go all authoritative parent on me. Sorry Luke, mate, you're 15 years too late for that." At this point I snapped. "Shut the f*ck up," I snapped, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, I was never there for you, I'm a bad Dad, too late to try and all that cr*p. Change the record Kyle, I've heard it all before, and frankly it's getting boring. I didn't know you existed and that's not my fault. It's your bl**dy Mother's fault." "That'll be the mother whose head you caved in," said Kyle. "Because she was infected!" I yelled, "Tara; your best mate killed her! Blame her not me, and don't you dare stand there and lecture me on killing people after you killed that girl when you could have chopped her arm off." "Luke!" gasped a shocked Mum. I suddenly realised that I might have gone too far with my last comment. "Kyle," I said, "I just don't want you going out on your own. You told me and Roz you wouldn't. It's just because we're worried about you?" "Worried people might have a go at me for killing that little girl?" said an angry Kyle, "That's what you've just done. I keep telling you, I can take care of myself and I get less hassle out there from those arseholes than I do in here from you. You make out you want to be a good Dad but you're sh*t at it. You were never there for me when I was a kid, and you weren't there when we were in The Base. You were too busy thinking of yourself. You abandoned me, jumped in a freezer and just thought of yourself whilst I was down in the Base running around risking my life looking for you. You're not even there for me now. You care more about this Natasha slag than you do about me or Leo." "That's not fair," I snapped. Roz then appeared. "What's going on?" she asked. "Ask him," said Kyle as he pointed at me and started to walk off with Leo, "Father of the year over there." Kyle then went upstairs with Leo. "For God's sake Luke," said Roz, "What have you done now?" "Oh, that's right isn't it!?" I exclaimed, "Blame me, it's all my fault!" "Well you did tell him to shut the f*ck up," said Ash. "And you told him he shouldn't have killed that little girl," said Mum. "Oh Luke, for crying out loud," snapped Roz, "Why do you keep doing this? Can you just try, for just one day, to not put your foot in your mouth? I mean why the Hell would you say that?" "He went out on his own," I firmly said. "He went out?" said Roz, "On his own?" "Well, with Leo," said Ash. "Why did you let him go out on his own with Leo?" Roz angrily asked me. "I didn't," I snapped, "I was just getting up." "We tried to tell him that going out on his own wasn't a good idea," said Mum. "Why the Hell didn't you go with him?" Roz snapped at Mum and Ash. "Sorry but he's not my responsibility," said Ash, "Anyway, I'd just made a cup of tea." "All you ever do is make tea," snapped Roz. "I tried to tell him that we were worried about him and that we wanted him to stay inside or only go out with us because we cared for him" I said. "But you f*cked it up?" said Roz. "Yeah well he really pushes my buttons sometimes," I said. "Luke, you're the adult, he's the child," said Roz, "When are you going to grow up?" "Oh, give me a break," I said, "I'm doing my best." "Your best?" exclaimed Ash, "Sorry Luke, mate but if that was your best then you're f*cked." "Oh, Ash shut up," I said. "I could give you some parenting classes," said Mum. "Are you kidding?" I exclaimed, "I think that would be like taking child care advice from the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang." "Cheeky sod," said Mum, "I look nothing like the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang." "Look, I'll sort it," said Roz, rolling her eyes, "As usual. Luke, he's a 15-year old boy. Maybe you should leave all the serious discussions to me." Roz then went upstairs. "God, I'm just no good at this being a parent thing am I?" I said. "Doesn't look like it," said Ash. "You are struggling a bit," said Mum, "Go to the library. There isn't much in there but there might be a book on parenting." Richard then stuck his head around the living room door. "Is it safe to come out?" "Yes, it's fine," I bluntly said. "I don't like arguments," said Richard, "I like it when people keep themselves to themselves and don't say much." "I don't know why you don't go and live in the middle of the Sahara Desert?" I bluntly said. "I don't really like sand," said Richard, "And the heat can make my skin go all red."