Prologue

Gaffney Medical Center, Chicago - August 29, 2020
Gabby's POV: This was it. This was either my last day on earth or the first day of the rest of my life. My life as a mother and (hopefully) as Matt's wife once again. What am I talking about exactly? I am talking about how I am about to give birth to my fiirst child. A child who's father (Matt obviously) doesn't even know about him (yes, it's a boy). But I am doing this for a reason. I am doing it protect Matt. To protect him from having to live with the guilt that I died in childbirth or the knowledge that we lost another baby. That's when I heard Natalie walk  in to help me.

Looking at me as she walked over to my bed, she smiled before taking a breath. "Are you sure that you don't want anybody here with you Gabby?" I took a breath when Natalie asked me that. Both her and the nurses have been asking me that all morning due to the fact that they are aware of my condition. They are recommending that I call somebody in case something happens. In case I need someone to take care of my lil' guy if I die. And while that is a scenario I need to think about...I am not ready to think about it. Plus, I just want face Matt right now.

"Matt doesn't need to know unless I give birth successfully and survive. If the baby doesn't survive, then he doesn't have to live with the guilt." Natalie sighed, agreeing with me before going to rub my arms. She then proceeded to go ahead and check my vitals while I heard a voice that I will always recognize. It was the voice that used to say my name every single day for years. The voice that used to moan my name when we were in bed. It was Matt and Firehouse 51. And I have an idea of why they are here based on what they are talking about right now (I know it).

"Luckily we got to them in time. Hope the smoke test is negative however." I took a breath when I heard Matt talk about the test that he has to take. But that made me realize something. If he's here now, he can at least be part of this. This life changing event that was going to change our lives. So in a way, I'm glad that he's here. He gets to experience this with me. However, I am not sure if he's going to feel the same way. The reason? He's probably going to be very mad at me. I just hope he can realize that I am doing this to protect him. God, this better go down well.

That's when Matt walked right by my room and turned his head. Seeing me, he was shocked and turned to look at his truck. "Hey guys, go ahead. I'll join you in a minute." Everybody turned to look at Matt and smiled. "Hey Gabby." I agreed with them all. That's when Stella saw me. "Hey girl, what the heck are you doing here?" Stella then walked in and came to hug me. "Let me just do my smoke test and then I will come say hi." I took a breath when she said that. "Maybe. I think me and Matt are going to need to talk." That's when I felt Matt get close to me. "Stella, privacy."

Stella just turned to look at Matt when he said that. "What? Why?" Matt then took a breath as he turned to look at my best friend. "Stella, I need to talk to Gabby about something private." Stella then watched him as he moved his hand to my stomach. Realizing what Matt just put his hand on, Stella proceeded to agree and walked away. Meanwhile, Matt looked at me. And I could already tell that he wasn't happy. "Gabby, I'm not going to assume. But I need to know..." Turning my head, I went to look at Natalie. "Natalie, can me and Matt have a moment alone?"

She agreed with me and nodded, walking out of my room so that she can give me and Matt some time to talk. "I'll check with you in a moment." I nodded and took a breath while looking at Matt. "You're going to want to sit down for this." Watching as Matt sat down on the bed next to me, I felt him put his hand on my stomach and just stare into my eyes. "Gabby, I swear to god. If this is our child..." I started to tear up and nod, scared what he would do. After all, this was not how I wanted to tell him that we were having a baby. A baby that could very well kill me.

"Yes Matt, I am currently pregnant and getting ready to give birth to our child."