Chapter 146

Gabby's POV

As I came back from feeding Matteo about 45 minutes later, I couldn't help but feel scared that me and Matt were beginning to fall into our old routines. We would have a fight and then break up because we didn't talk well. I needed to get reassurance from him that this wasn't going to be the case. I loved Matt and if he wanted to stay around here, he needs to know I understand.

Walking back to the couch, I moved to set Matteo down on the pillow we are using as a cot before looking at Matt who was currently looking at homes. I noticed the house he was looking at was one that wasn't close to 51 like he wanted. "I thought you said you wanted to stay close to the firehouse?" Matt turned to look up at me and sighed. "I'm sorry about that back there."

I knew what he was talking about and just nodded before moving to sit with him again. I moved my arm around his shoulders while moving my legs in between his as we cuddled up to each other on the couch. Moving my hand to his chest, I looked down into his eyes. "We just need to remember to communicate. We can't go back to way things were before I left."

Matt nodded as he moved his hand to my arm, kissing me softly. "I checked Google Maps and saw that, if I leave early enough...I could make it on time. However, I am just conflicted. The reason I said no is not that simple." I looked at him, confused. "What do you mean?" He sighed before continuing. "Which would you rather I give up? Being close to the firehouse or more time with you and Matteo between shifts?"

I looked at him when I realized why he was conflicted. That was the real reason he didn't want to leave the neighborhood. He was thinking ahead of time. More time with us before and after shifts or more time commuting which would make 24 hour shifts be more like 26 hour shifts. Thinking about it, I would rather have him home more often than driving that extra hour to me happy. "Matt, we can look closer to the firehouse okay? I understand why now."

Matt sighed and looked at me before wrapping his arm around me. "Thanks." I smiled before laying my head down on his shoulder. Feeling him kiss my forehead, I looked back at the iPad to find a new place. I zoomed in closer to the firehouse and started looking for a house. Clicking on a few pictures, I found one that wasn't that bad. "What about this one?"