We Had it All, Now we Lost it All

Matt's POV

After two hours of working the fire, we finally had it out. At least 6 of our neighbours died and it eventually spread to all the floors. I cleaned up the hoses with the help of the team before walking out to the truck to take off my gear. Once I finally got my gear off, I let myself get a little emotional because I almost lost my life in there. I am sure Gabby knew because it was all over the radio. I was told not to go back to our apartment, but I had to. One last look at the memories.

Now, everything was gone. We lost all of Matteo's stuff, all of our clothes and all of our wedding stuff. Now, my family was homeless because of our stupid neighbor. Turned out, he was suicidal and lit a mattress on fire to kill himself, forgetting that he lived in an apartment building. Most of all of our neighbors were now on their way to med. However I had to tell Gabby now that everything we just got was now gone. Can't wait to see how she reacts to that.

However, right now...I knew she felt relieved. Regardless of the fact that she had to rest, the moment I came back out of the building and she saw me, she ran over. I now held her in my arms and kissed her head. "Hey, I'm okay." She nodded and just held me tight. "It was quiet for a while. How is everything in there?" I sighed and looked at her. "Let's go sit with Matteo and we can talk. This is not good news." She grabbed my hand and got scared.

We made our way back to the ambulance where Matteo was sitting with Cindy. Turned out Gabby called her so that she could have emotional support since I was in there. Once we we're at the ambulance, I sat down and grabbed a bottle of water before turning to grab Gabby's hand. Intertwining our fingers, I looked at her and teared up. "I tried my best Gabby, but....there's nothing left. The building is gone...the inside is all burned. There's nothing but the walls."