We Brought our Work Home

Gabby's POV

Thank god I finally got that out. It was what I honestly believed and it probably didn't help at all. Being the Candidate, me and Matt had to split up until Boden found a way for us to be married. That, and I moved back to being PIC on Ambo. That's the only way that me and Matt could've gotten married. And it was great at first, until I miscarried and moved back to truck. Our arguments became worse and more tense. We weren't happy anymore and I hated that feeling.

"I hated that. I mean, I guess that's why they discouraged us getting together in the first place. In a way, they were trying to protect it from getting awkward at the firehouse yet....we can't help who we fall in love with. If I could do it all over again, I wish I could say I would've changed something but I can't. I loved you and wanted to be your husband."

I nodded and then smiled. "I wanted to be your wife too and I think I maybe should've told you about something I felt. During one point during our engagement, I had an outburst while talking to one of the co-workers. I was so frustrated because we were engaged but we couldn't get married. I honestly almost thought about calling it off or just telling you to forget the marriage."

Matt stared at me, shocked. "But, would we have still been together?" I bit my lip but nodded. "The problem was the kids. We wanted kids but, we wanted to be married before we had kids. Yet, I didn't want to have to leave....even though they eventually found a way around that and it just got hard. I mean, I wanted to work with you yet...I couldn't marry you."

Matt nodded as he kissed my forehead. "And worse of all, was the way I felt when we actually went into the fires. I think we can both agree that we both got scared and we got scared to loose each other many times." He nodded and then smiled. "At least, in the end we always made it through the rough times. And we always had each other's backs."

I smiled at him and nodded. "At least we are here now in a much better place. Married, with an amazing son and it felt like I never left." Matt nodded again before grabbing my neck and moving to kiss me. He then rolled over on top of me as we shared a kiss before pulling away and smiling at me. "Let's promise to keep work at the firehouse and only be about family here."

I nodded and smiled. "Promise." I smiled at Matt again before running my hand down his chest. "Listen, how about you go start the shower. I know we need to relax but, I need something. Yes, we did it once but...it was right after giving birth." Matt smiled when I said that before kissing me softly. "I'll go start the shower. Don't be long." He then got up and started to get undressed as he made his way to the washroom to start the shower. I smirked when I watched him walk away, ready to take a shower with him for the first time in months.