Chapter 47

Matt's POV

After finishing up in the washroom, I made my way out to see that Gabby was still feeding Matteo. I smiled at the sight because I never thought I'd get to see it. Keeping the big smile on my face, I made my way back to our bed before crawling back into the covers and wrapping my arm around Gabby. Once she felt me there, she rolled over a bit to look at me.

She was still feeding Matteo and even though she was hiding his little face a bit, I could tell he was happy to be in Gabby's arms. He was such an easy baby so far and I couldn't be prouder to be his father. I then turned my attention to Gabby as she started talking to me. "You promise that you ordered that pump for me through Amazon right?"

I nodded before kissing her forehead. "Want me to grab my phone and double check? I can even check on the status of delivery to see whether it is going to be here today." Gabby smiled at me. "I'd like that because, even though you wake up with me while I feed him...I'd like to start sleeping more through the night if I can." I nodded. "I feel the same way. Especially when I go back to work."

Gabby gulped when I said that. I knew something was wrong when I said that and sighed. "What's wrong Gabby?" She looked up at me and then grabbed my hand. "I would rather not talk about you going back to work yet. I don't want to get nightmares of you not coming home to us after one of your shifts." I nodded, already knowing how scared she was before we had Matteo. But, now that we have a kid she must be even more terrified.

"Hey, we can work this out." She nodded while looking at me before sighing. "I just need you to promise me that I am not going to have to end up doing this alone. Matt, I can't have you acting too quickly and have to second judge yourself. I need you here with me." I nodded, moving to kiss her forehead softly. "I will be. For the rest of your life. I promise."

I smiled as I held my family close, knowing that Gabby was worried and I hoped it would go away but in reality, I knew it wouldn't. These types of fears never go away for the loved ones of those who are in the line of fire, whether it be first responders or those in the military. I understand where Gabby is coming from because I felt that way when we first got married.

However, I knew we needed to work this out. And I also needed to talk to Mouch, also known as my union representative. I hate that I need to think about this but...I need to update my life insurance policy to add a new beneficiary and maybe get a bit more money. I also need to put Gabby back on there. I took her off when we divorced but now, she's getting back on. God, this is going to be scary. Let's hope I can do it later this morning before Gabby gets up.