Chapter 97

The Next Morning with Matt

Matt's POV

After waking up early this morning, I decided to go downstairs and do some stretching. My back still hurts from the hospital bed and I need to rest it. I am just glad to be back home with Gabby, my gorgeous wife and Matteo, our beautiful baby boy. I still can't believe that I am able to say that sentence. My life has changed this week in so many good ways that I am so glad we are now going to have a day together in bed. At least, I hoped we would when I heard a knock.

Getting up from stretching, I walk over to the door to see Hermann at the door with food. I opened the door, looking at him confused. "Hermann, what are you doing here at 7 am?" He looked at me and smiled. "I brought you guys some breakfast. Normally, you do a post-wedding breakfast but...this is different. So, this is from Molly's chefs."

I nodded and smiled, shocked. "Thanks." I looked at him. "Here, why don't you come in for a minute? You can help me with something. I need to ask you about something you dropped off." Hermann nodded, looking a little confused while I made my way to the kitchen to put the food on the counter. I then went and grabbed a little hoop I found in the box he gave me.

Walking back over to him, I looked at him. "Does this go on any specific outfit that you gave me? It was loose and I couldn't figure out what it was." He looked at me and chuckled. "God, you are going to be coming to me with a lot of dad questions. No, it's a teething ring for when Matteo starts growing his teeth. You put it in the freezer and he sucks on it."

I nodded and then looked at it. "Okay, glad to know. Just don't be surprised if I ask again later. Wow, I am really going to have to learn as I go this time." He nodded and smiled. "I recommend reading that book I gave you. It's called "Raising Kids...The First Month" Trust me, it helps. Even when you did it once, it still helped me every time."

I nodded and smiled. "Thanks again Hermann. Just to let you know, you are going to be acting Lieutenant a bit longer than normal so be ready for that." He looked at me confused. "How long are you thinking of staying out for?" I sighed, not really knowing an answer but...I was ready to guess. "I originally said a month but, I may take two to three months. Between a newborn and Gabby's double recovery....I just need time here."

Hermann nodded and smiled. "Of course, we will work it out. I swear, maybe we can work with the union to try and get part-time shifts for new parents." I nodded and smiled. "I would like to work on that with you. Maybe when I am done paternity leave we can try." He smiled and nodded before coming to hug me when I heard Matteo cry and Gabby yell. "Matt!" I chuckled and looked at him. "That's my cue. Say hi to everybody Hermann." He nodded and smiled before leaving. I then locked up again, took a breath and then made my way back to the bedroom. "Coming Mrs. Casey!"