Chapter 38

Gabby's POV

"It would've destroyed me if I found out you had died....but it would've killed me to know that you died because you were pregnant with my child." After hearing Matt say that, I lost it...I felt so bad and just felt so stupid. How could I do this to the man I love? The man I am crazy for. All I wanted was to give him a family. Yet, I could've broken him had something gone wrong.

"Matt, I never thought of it that way. All I thought was, this is what you always wanted. How could I be selfish and put myself first when that is the reason we weren't together anymore?" I took a few deep breaths before continuing. "But now, hearing you say that it makes me realize that me getting pregnant could've destroyed you a lot more than it could've made you feel good. I remember how you were when we lost our first baby....I didn't want you to go through that again. So, that's why I didn't tell you but, in the end I just hurt you more."

I hoped that would help the situation but I didn't know. Matt had changed since we were last together, he was more mature and was much more guarded. He was more protective of his heart even with me. I knew I had to be careful with this situation because I couldn't and wouldn't let myself hurt Matt anymore than I already have because of what I did.

That's when I felt Matt's lips on my head. "I am just glad that you came back to Chicago to have the baby. And yes, I will admit it felt horrible walking into Med to see you there pregnant. But, watching you give birth to Matteo was something I never thought I would experience. I guess in the end, everything went great but...please don't think I am not disappointed that I didn't get to experience all of it. The ultrasounds, the fetal heartbeat, finding out the gender."

I nodded and then moved to kiss his chest. "I am so sorry baby. Please, forgive me." I felt Matt push my head up and nodded. "I already have forgiven you but, forgiving doesn't mean forgetting. We will get past this babe....I promise." Matt then leaned down to kiss me softly, rubbing my arm before laying my head back down. He then rubbed my back and smiled at me. I smiled at him as well as we just laid down in bed together, relaxing in silence.