Chapter 4

Meredith moaned at the alarm clock that was blaring in her ear. Maybe internship wasn't such a good idea. Maybe I should have been a dog walker, they get to sleep in, I bet. She rolled out of bed, feeling better then she had been. She didn't have Chase over last night to keep her up. She took a quick shower, grabbed an piece of pizza from a few days ago and got in her car. I should get some roommates. I don't need that big house to myself. Besides, maybe the other person could cook. That would be a plus. She pulled into a parking spot next to another old beat up car. Her jeep wasn't beat up, it was just older. Compared to the other doctor's cars, it did look out of place. She reached down to put her phone on vibrate. Shit! It wasn't there. She remembered dropping it down the storm drain. Crap. I'm going to need to do something about that.

She looked around the hospital. It seemed smaller than she remembered, but it was the same. She knew this place like the back of her hand. Her mom never wanted her there. She wanted her to be great, but she didn't want to be bothered by her. Ellis Grey was a busy woman. Meredith entered the elevator. She looked at the person to her left. She was blonde. She seemed bubbly, happy. She was the model. She had heard it through the grapevine that there was a model in the program. Yep, it's definitely her. Meredith walked directly to the locker room, sizing up her competition.

"Hi, I'm George O'Malley. I saw you last night, at the mixer. You had on the black dress, slit up the side, strappy sandals, your hair was down." He rambled on nervously. It was cute, she thought.

"Yeah, that was me. I'm Meredith." She responded, pulling off her jeans.

"I'm Izzie. I have the Nazi. I heard she was horrible." Izzie said happily, as she put her hair up.

"Nazis usually are horrible. Hence 'Nazi'." Cristina snapped, and turned away.

"You must be the one that went to Stanford. Yang, is it? I'm Alex Karev." Alex said.

"Yes, I am the one from Stanford. I am not here to be friendly. You are the competition." She said with a sour look on her face. She shoved her stuff in her locker and slammed the door.

"Who else has the Nazi?" Asked George.

"I do." Replied Meredith, Alex and Cristina.

"Yay." Responded George. They all walked out to the nurses station to the woman everyone said was the Nazi.

"She doesn't look like a Nazi." Meredith stated.

"Looks can be deceiving." Cristina said and she glanced at her. Everyone just stood in front of Dr. Bailey, staring at her. Finally Cristina started to introduce herself.

"No. I don't care who you are. Don't even bother introducing yourselves. I don't like interns. You're stupid, you make mistakes, you are pains in the ass. We're going to do rounds, then I will assign. Do not embarrass me!" Dr. Bailey warned them.

She walked up quickly to the first room. They took turns presenting the cases. George seems nervous. He's soft and scared. Meredith thought. Cristina is hard and cold. Izzie is happy. She looks like she would be dumb as a box of freaking rocks, but she's not. And Alex is an ass. Arrogant, and he doesn't even have a reason to be. They were heading down the hall to another patient's room when Dr. Bailey stopped in her tracks. The interns nearly knocked each other down with a domino effect. Meredith looked up, and the blood quickly drained out of her face.

"I would like you all to meet our new Chief of Surgery, Chase Carter." Miranda introduced them. They all shook his hand. He looked at Meredith. She looked back at him with panic. Shit! Shit, shit, shit! This is bad. This is like the worst freaking thing ever. I may as well lay now in the parking lot and let people take turns running me over. She shook his hand, she could hardly look in his eyes. Why the hell didn't he tell me? This is crap. He looked at her. She could read it. He was sorry. He looked a little scared himself. She didn't want to deal with this, but she had to know.