Chapter 114

"Oh my god..." Evelyn said as she approached Meredith and Derek. They watched as tears came to her eyes. "Oh my..." She said as she grabbed the boy from Derek's arms. "He's perfect." She said as she held him softly. "I missed it." She said sadly.

"I nearly missed it myself." Derek said frankly. "Mer wasn't messing around. I have never heard of anyone giving birth so quickly."

"I don't know, it felt like forever." She said as she kissed her little girl on the head and handed her to Derek.

"Are you sore?" He asked her as he watched her adjust herself in the bed.

"A little." She said with a head nod. "But I'll be okay."

"You're sure?" He asked as he cradled the baby in his arm and ran his hand on her cheek.

"Derek! Two hands!" She gasped as she looked at him. He looked at her and shook his head. So protective, already.

"She's fine." He reassured as he held her with two hands.

"He looks just like Derek did, look at this dark hair." She said as she ran her hands on his head.

"He looks like Mer, too. Look at the chin." Derek said as she pointed.

"Yep, he does." She said with a nod. "Let me see that little girl." Derek traded her. "Look at those cheeks. She is so beautiful. I have to say, and don't you dare say a word to your sisters! These are the most beautiful babies I have ever seen." She said as she cooed at her.

"It's because they're mine." Derek said with a nod.

"Seriously, Derek." Meredith said in disbelief. "Behave yourself."

"It's the truth." He said with a shrug. They looked up as the nurse walked in.

"You want to take them, don't you?" Meredith asked as she looked up.

"Just for a short while. They'll be back." She said with a smile as she grabbed the babies.

"I'm going to miss them." Meredith said as she watched her wheel them out. "I can't explain it..."

"It's called maternal instinct, dear. All you want to do is love and protect them." She said with a smile as she walked to the side of the bed. "And I was not kidding. You are in so much trouble." She said as she pointed her finger at her.

"Mom..." Derek said as he looked at her.

"No, Derek. I was in a panic. I went to the store to get cocoa, milk, orange juice and eggs, Oh, bananas too. Anyway... You said you were fine! I would have been home earlier, can you believe they didn't have bananas? So I had to go to the market. I come home, and you're no where to be found. I figured you were taking a bath, so I waited awhile. Then I saw the puddle by the front door. No note! You just left. You left with no note. I have a cellphone. You could have called!" She scorned.

"I'm sorry, mom. I was in a panic." Meredith explained. "It was so fast."

"I guess none of that matters now." She said as she rubbed Meredith's head. "You should get some rest. Derek, you and I can go check on those babies."

"Are you okay?" He asked as he looked at her.

"Go." She said softly with a nod.

"We'll be right back." He said as he kissed her forehead.

Meredith closed her eyes. She couldn't believe how exhausted she was. All she did was push two humans out. She silently chuckled. Nine months of carrying them around, and now here they were. They were actually here, greeting everyone. She began to snore softly as she drifted asleep.