Chapter 32

For the first time in her life, Meredith found herself upset that her boyfriend was leaving. Whenever Ian would go out of town, she would be secretly relieved. And with Nate she was sad, but she survived. But with Derek, she was dreading his departure. She hadn't realized how in love she was with him until the day neared that he was leaving. It was only a few days, she knew that. Her insecurities were rearing their ugly heads again. A small part of her was worried that he would never come back. That thought, she could not bear. She looked over at him as he slept.

"Are you watching me?" He asked without opening his eyes.

"Maybe." She said with a giggle. His eyes opened, and blue met green.

"What's wrong?" He asked as he watched her expression change from happiness to something entirely different.

"It's nothing." She said, brushing it off, and not doing a very good job of it.

"Something is wrong." He said, giving her his signature smile. "You can tell me..."

"I'm scared." She said as her eyes welled up. "It's so stupid."

"Nothing you say or do is stupid." He reassured her as he rubbed her arm. She winced and closed her eyes.

"I have never felt this way before. I can't breathe." She explained. "I should not feel like a am going to die because you are leaving for three days. I have never-" She said, nervously. He cut her off with a kiss.

"Meredith, I love you." He said when he pulled away. "And I will be thinking of you every single minute that I am gone."

"Really?" She asked.

"Really." He reassured her.

"Please come back." She whispered.

"Why wouldn't I come back?" He asked with a puzzled look.

"Everyone leaves and they don't come back." She said softly as her eyes welled up again.

"I will come back as soon as I can." He reassured her.

"What time is your flight?" She asked as he wrapped his arms around her.

"Seven." He responded as he kissed her head.

"Can we just spend the day in bed?" She asked, as she laid her head against him.

"I would love to do nothing else." Derek answered, holding her tighter.

"Something happened with Anna's bone marrow donor." Meredith said sadly.

"Oh, that's not good." He responded softly.

"We have the same blood type you know." Meredith said nonchalantly.

"Oh?" Derek said, wondering what she was getting to.

"I think I'm going to see if I can be a donor." She said quickly.

"What?" Derek said in shock. "You don't even know her!"

"She's a little kid, Derek. She needs someone." Meredith said, looking into his eyes.

"It's a big step, Mer. And it hurts..." Derek said, trying to discourage her.

"You're right." She said, deciding to drop the conversation. "So what on earth could we do in bed all day?" She asked with a smile.

"Hmm, I don't know..." He said with a smirk and then pulled her on top of him.

"I think I have an idea..." She said as she began kissing his bare chest.

"I can kiss here." She said. "And here...Oh! And here." She whispered as she placed him in her mouth.