Chapter 30

"Are you sure you are ready to go back?" Derek asked with skepticism.

"Derek, I am fine." Meredith said with a smile. "I can't wait to get back to the hospital."

"You were only off a week!" Derek said unhappily. "You don't need to push yourself."

"Yes, I do. You have been waiting on me hand and foot. I don't even know if will be able to do anything for myself ever again." She said with a giggle.

"Well, it's a good thing I like to take care of you." He said as he attacked her neck with kisses. "You do have to eat a good breakfast. How about some muesli?"

"Are you kidding me? If I wanted a bowl full of cardboard with milk, I would have gotten it already." She said scrunching her nose.

"It's not that bad. And it's good for you." He said with a smile.

"I'll just eat a breakfast bar or something. I don't want to be late." She said nervously.

"Alright. But I want to see you eat a good lunch..." He warned.

"Okay. Whatever you say." She said with a giggle. Derek grabbed his bag and walked out the front door and onto the porch. Meredith followed behind him slowly.

"Are you sure you are ready, Mer?" He asked again with concern.

"Derek..." She said as a warning. "I am fine."

"Fine like you were when you came home from the hospital too early?" He asked.

"No! Fine, fine..." She said as she walked passed him and got into his Land Rover. He followed her. He tried to help her in.

"I can do it myself!" She shouted as she swatted at him.

"Okay..." Derek said, shaking his head as he walked around to the driver's seat.

"Oh, Drew called the other day..." Derek mentioned as he threw the car into reverse.

"Yeah, he told me." Meredith said quickly.

"He called again?" Derek asked, looking over at her.

"Yeah, yesterday. He was just checking up on me." Meredith said with a faint smile.

"Oh." Derek said flatly.

"What?" She asked, sensing his tone.

"It's just weird. He's my cousin, and he calls you more than me. That's all." He said quickly, not wanting to start a fight.

"Derek. It's no big deal..." Meredith said defensively. "Drew and I are just friends."

"I know." He said, dropping it. "So, I bet I can guess what you will be doing today..."

"Ha, ha, funny!" She said coldly. "It is better than being at home."

"Thanks..." He said defensively.

"I just hate being cramped up." She said quickly. "I like to work."

"So, I was thinking about dinner tonight..." He started. "How about that little italian restaurant you love?" He asked as he pulled into the closest parking spot near the door, so she wouldn't have to walk far.

"Sounds good." She said with a tired smile. She opened the car door, and began to walk towards the entrance. He jogged to catch up.

"Are you mad at me?" He asked as he caught up.

"No, why?" She asked with a puzzled look.

"No reason." He said as they both walked onto the elevator. The elevator was packed. The door dinged and they walked out.