Chapter 26

Meredith had a feeling. She had a feeling. She should have stayed home. She should have laid in Derek's arms all day. Instead, she dragged herself into the hospital. She knew something wasn't right. Her body was telling her to run and hide. And then she confronts a stranger. A stranger who was undoubtedly in distress.

Meredith looked at the clock. She had never seen the second hand move so slowly. Time had stopped. Everyone was moving in slow motion. There was no sound. Meredith looked over at Miranda Bailey. Miranda was a staple a Seattle Grace Hospital. She was strong. She was powerful. She could withstand anything. Meredith looked into her eyes. She only saw one thing, fear. Miranda Bailey was scared.

"Dr. Yang, I need you to go directly to the Chief. I want you to tell him that we have a code black on our hands. Tell him that he has taken a member of the staff, but do not tell him who. I want you to walk there and walk back. Do not tell anyone on your way. Do you understand?" Miranda asked with a firm and quiet voice.

"Yes ma'am." Cristina answered.

Cristina walked behind the curtains so as not to attract attention. Everyone looked at her as she walked. They looked at her as if she knew what to do. As if she could explain what was going on. Her person had a feeling and she brushed it off. She acted as if it was nothing. She never got a chance to tell her how important she was to her. She always had smart comments and sarcasm waiting to happen. Never once had she told her how she felt. She walked quickly to the elevator. She jogged as the elevator door opened. George was standing there with a big smile on his face.

"So I scrubbed in on an LVAD procedure with Burke. I was assigned to Montgomery, but Burke needed an extra hand. It was awesome." He bragged with a smirk. Cristina just looked at him. "What the hell is the matter with you?"

"I don't care, okay. I don't care about your stupid surgery. I don't care." Cristina snapped. The doors to the elevator opened. She walked out.

"I have to go." Cristina said curtly as she walked out.

Cristina looked around as she walked down the hallway. She was waiting to hear the blast of explosion. She was waiting for the floor to shake like there was an earthquake. She was waiting for the artwork to fall off of the walls and crash to the floor. She was waiting for her friend, her person, to be splattered on the walls. This was all she could think about. She rushed up to Richard's office. Patricia was sitting at her desk. Cristina swung the door open and walked in. Patricia looked at her in shock. The Chief was on the phone. He looked at at her with a glare, she returned it.

"I'll have to let you go..." He said as he hung up the phone. "Dr. Yang, what the hell do you think you are doing?"

"Dr. Bailey sent me. She said to let you know that we have a code black on our hands." Cristina said. She felt comfort being there with him. She felt as if he could snap his fingers and make it all alright.

"A code black? Are you sure?" He asked with confusion.

"Yes sir. A man has a bomb strapped to his chest. He has taken a hostage. A member of the staff." Cristina explained.

"Where are they?" Richard asked.

"In the emergency room." She answered.

"Damn-it." He muttered. He immediately grabbed the phone, alerting the police. He also made arrangements for all ambulances to be sent to Seattle Pres and Mercy-West. "Who is the hostage?" He asked. She looked at the floor. "Dr. Yang?" He asked sternly.

"It's- It's Dr. Grey." Cristina said quietly.

"Oh my God, Ellis." He said in panic.

"No, no sir. Not Ellis." She said quickly. "It's Meredith. It's Meredith Grey."