Chapter 121

"Oh shoot, Dev...this is not good." She said as she watched them near the house. "Grandma is and acquired taste, you'll learn that. But I'll let you make your own decisions without bias." She told him sweetly.

Meredith stood at the door as Richard and Ellis pulled in front of the house. She was tired. She stunk and she hadn't done anything with herself in forever. And now the most judgmental person in the world was over. And this was going to be a good time, no doubt.

"Mother, Richard...what are you doing here?" She asked as they walked up.

"We came to see our grandchildren." Richard said as he gave her a soft hug.

"Don't worry, her claws are in." He whispered into her ear. "How are you little guy?" He asked as he tickled Devlin's cheek.

"What is that?" Ellis said as she pointed to the corner of the property.

"That... Oh, that's a barn." She muttered as she looked up.

"A barn! What do you need a barn for?" Ellis asked as she looked over.

"A horse and a pony." Meredith said with a shrug as she walked in the house.

"You have a horse and pony?" She asked as she followed Meredith into the kitchen.

"A pony. Jane has a horse." Meredith said as she laid Devlin down in the carrier, receiving an immediate wail. "You're okay..." She said as she rubbed his cheek.

"I don't see why you need a horse and pony." Ellis said as she sat on the stool.

"Ask Derek." Meredith said simply as she tried to calm Devlin down.

"You look great, Meredith." Richard said with a smile as he watched her.

"Thanks, even if I know you're lying through your teeth." Meredith said with a smirk.

"When was the last time you brushed your hair? Aren't you worried about people seeing you like this? I'm sure there will be tons of people stopping by." Ellis said as she stroked Delilah's cheek.

"There are rules. No one was supposed to come over until they are a month old." Meredith said curtly to her mother.

"What the hell kind of rule is that?" She said as she looked at her daughter.

"We don't want them getting sick. And they sleep most of the time." Meredith explained.

"Well, if they are sleeping all of the time, what the hell are you doing? You're obviously not cleaning the house or yourself." She said as she looked around.

"It's full time, taking care of them. Besides, I can't sleep while they are sleeping. What if something happens?" Meredith explained.

"Babies have slept for years without their mothers watching them." Ellis said as she rolled her eyes. "Where is that housekeeper of yours anyway?" Ellis asked as she looked around.

"Jane is not our housekeeper. She is Anna's nanny." Meredith said with a huff. "So tell me again... Why are you here? Because you're not even looking at my children." She said as she scooped a whimpering Devlin up.

"Can I?" Richard asked as he nodded at Delilah.

"Of course." Meredith said with a nod.

"You spoil him." Ellis said as she looked at Devlin. "He'll never be independent if you don't let him go."

"He's a baby, Ellis." Richard said as he held Delilah close.

"It's never too soon..." Ellis said as she stuck her hands out. Meredith begrudgingly handed her Devlin, who immediately started screaming at the top of his lungs. [iMy thought exactly, Dev...[/i