Chapter 56

Derek woke up several times during the night. He just had to check on her. And every time he did, Meredith would say, "She's fine, Derek." He would just shrug and go check. He was afraid that she would wake up in the middle of the night, and not know where she was. Meredith had to smile, he really was a dad.

Derek didn't wake up until seven-thirty. He reached his arm over, expecting to feel Meredith's warm body. Instead he felt the cold sheet next to him. He was tired. He didn't have anything on the board. And after his sleepless night, he was happy to just lay there and rest. He closed his eyes and tried to fall back asleep. And he nearly was, that is, until he heard the giggles. He crept down the stairs, as he got closer he could hear Anna.

"No, you're doing it wrong!" Anna argued.

"What am I doing wrong?" Meredith asked with a laugh.

"They aren't supposed to look like that!" Anna said with a giggle. "Those are yuck!"

"What's going on in here?" He asked as he face certain danger. Meredith and Anna were both covered in flour.

"Merediff and I are making pancakes!" Anna said happily.

"Trying to." Meredith said as she pointed to a whole plateful of inedible foodstuff. "But we're fine!"

"Wow." He muttered as he looked at the mess. It looked like a food war had went on. The eggs were battling the flour and the flour was on the floor.

"Do you know how to make pancakes?" Anna asked Derek with a twinkle in her eye. She looked like she had lost all hope in Meredith.

"Actually, I do." He said with a smile as he walked over to them. "What is this?" He asked with a chuckle as he looked down at the half mixed batter. He cut one of the cooked pancakes and the middle was full of dry flour. "Wow, Mer." He laughed.

"Not funny!" She said as she smacked him on the arm. "We need your help...I guess." She mumbled.

"What's that you say?" Derek said with a grin.

"She said she needs your help!" Anna said loudly.

"Oh, is that right?" He laughed as he cracked the eegs against the bowl. "You mix." He told Anna. She quickly went to the task.

"Good morning." Derek said as he leaned in and kissed Meredith.

"Ewww, mush!" Anna said as she looked at them.

"You have morning breath." Meredith said with a giggle.

"That's what happens when you women wake me up." He said lightheartedly. "What time did you get up?" He asked.

"Anna woke me up at quarter till seven." Meredith replied.

"Oh, an early riser..." Derek pointed out. "You would do well with doctor's hours."

"I wanna be a doctor." She said as she continued to stir.

"I think that is ready." He said as he grabbed the bowl. "See, Mer, this is what it should look like." He told her as he began to pour it on the griddle.

"Yes, sir!" Meredith answered sharply. "Anna, do you want orange or apple juice?" Meredith asked.

"I want soda!" She said boldly.

"Uh, no." Meredith said firmly. "Apple or orange?"

"Soda." She sang as she watched Derek.

"I hate to break it to you, but your soda days were over the minute you walked in the door." He explained happily. "Soda is bad for your teeth and your body. I'm a doctor, remember." He said.