Chapter 18

Derek was trying to sleep in the uncomfortable chair. His back was aching and his ass had long since fallen asleep. The Seattle rain was pounding on the windows. The rain was so fitting at this point, he thought. Derek had fallen asleep, only to be awoken. His eyes opened and he heard her saying "Nate". He had no idea who Nate was. She was quiet after a few minutes. He sat there for awhile before falling back asleep.

Meredith woke up at nine a.m. She opened her eyes and looked over at Derek. He was asleep. Maybe I can sneak out and lock him in here. Then he would leave me alone. She flipped her blankets over and got right out of bed. She was still in Chase's Stanford shirt and pants. Derek's eyes shot open. He looked at her pajamas, he knew that those were his clothes, and it stung.

"Hey." He said as she stood up.

"Hey." She said grumpily. "You're still here..."

"I'm still here." He chuckled. She walked into the bathroom. He heard the toilet flush and the water run. She looked at herself in the mirror. She looked horrible. She should be embarrassed to let Derek see her this way. At this point, she didn't care. She opened the door and came back out.

"Are you hungry?" He asked.

"No." She said flatly.

"You need to eat. When was the last time you ate?" He asked her.

"I'm not hungry." She answered, rolling her eyes.

"So now you are going to starve yourself to death." He said bluntly. "So when did you eat last?"

"I don't know. What is today?" She asked.

"Seriously?" He asked, she nodded. "It's Wednesday."

"Wednesday?" She sighed. "Okay. Two days ago. Are you happy?" She said quickly.

"No. You have to eat. Let's go." He said, pointing to the doorway. She walked out of her room. He followed right behind her.

"You know, if I stop fast, they will have to surgically remove you from my ass." She said bluntly. "I fuck the chief and get caught, and now my attending will have to be removed from my ass. That will be hard to explain."

"It's a nice ass to be removed from." He laughed. She didn't respond. She walked over to the refrigerator, grabbed a piece of pizza, and took a bite. He walked over to her and grabbed it away.

"That is just wrong!" He said quickly. "I am making you breakfast..." He started rummaging through the cabinets. "I hope you like pancakes." She nodded. He poured her a glass of orange juice and sat it in front of her. "You need the vitamin c."

"Thanks." She said dully, as she took a drink. He started mixing the pancakes.

"So. Do you wan to talk about it?" He asked.

"Not really." She said flatly. She stared at the wall in a daze. "My mother was here yesterday." She blurted out. She immediately wished she hadn't.

"What?" Derek said in shock. He had been here most of the day. It had to have been before he got there. "What happened?" He asked.

"Oh, you know... She told me that she was disappointed, humiliated. She said I was sleeping my way to the top. I was a waste...whatever." Meredith said as if she didn't care. She really did care. In fact it crushed her, that her mother was so disgusted by her.

"That's not true. You are not a waste." He said, looking into her sad, dark eyes. "Why would she say that?" Derek asked, more to himself.

"That's how she is. It's no big deal." She said, shrugging her shoulders. He knew that Ellis was the one who had pushed her over the edge. "I don't blame her. I got caught having sex with the Chief."