Chapter 62

Meredith finally snuggled into Derek's side. He was reading his journal, or at least she thought he was. He sat there breathing in her sent. Taking her in. Thinking about all that they have been through. Hoping things would lighten up just a little. He couldn't read. All he could think about was her. How lucky he was to have her. How he would do anything in his power to keep her from feeling an ounce of pain. And how at the moment, he couldn't seem to do anything.

He had been making plans, or arrangements you could say. He had it all mapped out. He knew exactly what he was going to do, and how he was going to do it. It was hard to do. He had to pull a lot of strings, but it would be worth it. Now, all he had to do was execute the plans he had made.

"Mer?" He asked quietly. He knew she wasn't asleep, but he could feel that she was completely relaxed.

"Hmm?" She asked sleepily, as she glanced up.

"We're going to Paris." He said softly. He was waiting to see her face light up. Nothing gave him more joy than to see the sparkle she got in her eyes. The stars in the sky were no comparison to her eyes.

"What?" She said with a surprised tone.

"We need a break. You need a break." He said softly. "So... here." He said as he handed her en envelope.

"What's this?" She asked as she grabbed the big embossed envelope.

"Those are our tickets." He replied smoothly.

"Tickets?" She asked as she pulled the envelope open and grabbed the contents. "Tickets. Plane tickets...For next week?" She said in a panic as she read the date.

"Yes, next Monday. We are spending a week in France. You need to relax. You need to get away and not worry." He said waiting to see the delight one her face. It didn't come.

"No. No Paris. No Monday. No, Derek." She responded firmly as she stared into his eyes.

"What do you mean, no?" He said on complete shock. His body stiffened as he sat up.

"I just took a week off for Anna. Dr. Webber would never let me take another week this soon-" She started to explain.

"Actually, it was three months ago that you took a week off. In fact you have been working way over one hundred hours a week. And days off, do you remember what those are? And Dr. Webber cleared it. He gave you the week off..." Derek said with a grin.

"Why did you ask without telling me?" She asked as she gave him a sharp look.

"Well, I- Um. I guess I shouldn't have." He said, seeing that it upset her.

"Okay, well what about Bailey?" Meredith asked. "And the other interns. It's not fair to them." Meredith reasoned.

"Mer, they can handle it..." Derek told her, knowing that having her gone didn't make it any harder. It just meant they got more surgeries to themselves.

"Okay... and Anna. I don't think we could take her out of the country." She started, she could read what he was going to say. "And we can't leave her for a week, Derek. Plus the house is almost finished! And then there is the internship exam. Derek, it's crazy right now." She said, trying to make him see her rationale.

"Do you honestly think you are going to have a hard time with that exam?" He asked her.

"Well, it's hard, and I have to pass if I am going to be a resident." She started to ramble.

"You are the smartest intern in the hospital. And you will be a great resident. The test will be a piece of cake for you. You need to not stress out about it. You are smart, and gorgeous, and..." He said as he cocked his head.