Chapter 70

It had been on Derek's mind. It was something he had been dealing with. He didn't think anything would come of it. He didn't think that he would be making a difference. But after the phone call, he knew better. Meredith was nervous. He noticed her grip tightening on the seat. She shouldn't be worried. Well, maybe she would. After all, they did have a choice to make.

"Wha-What is it, Derek?" She finally came up with the gumption say.

"I, um. Well, when I got that phone call earlier. I have been waiting for it for awhile." He started as he looked at the worry on her face,

"God damn-it Derek, just spit it out." She spat angrily.

"I contacted a private detective a few weeks before we left." He said as he looked down at his hands.

"Why would you contact a private detective?" She asked. It made no sense. Why would he do that?

"I wanted to dig up a much dirt as I can. And, well he did." He explained to Meredith.

"Dirt. Dirt on who?" She asked as she looked into his blue eyes.

"Harry Kissinger. The private detective has been following him. Wo got dirt. He has been cheating on his wife." Derek said with an unchanged expression.

"So he screws around on his wife, big deal..." Meredith spat out. "Unless you do it, then I will cut your balls of an throw them on the barn roof." She said with a serious tone.

"We don't have a barn..." He told her happily.

"Then we will build a barn, just so I can throw your balls on the barn roof!" She told him. His eyes got wide.

"There is only one woman for me." He said slyly. "But anyway...apparently his wife has no idea. In fact, she put him through law school by working her ass off. They have been married forever. There is no prenuptial agreement. He stands to lose a lot if she leaves him."

"So what does that have to do with us?" Meredith asked dumbly.

"Well, maybe Mr. Kissinger wouldn't want to represent the Livingston's anymore if this information could possibly end up in the wrong hands." Derek said, somewhat in disgust.

"So you are saying you want to blackmail him? That's illegal. It's bad, it's dirty!" She said, shaking her head. "We shouldn't have that kind of control over someone's life."

"Well, that's why I am leaving it up to you." He said, throwing it onto her.

"What? I can't. This is a big thing, Derek. We're talking life changing." She explained.

"You're right. But Mer, I have to say, if he continues, I think they will walk." Derek said. "They will march up and take Anna away."

"Oh my god." She said as she laid her head back and moaned.

"I understand how you feel. I don't know what to do either. I mean, we are being selfish. We are. She is their granddaughter. They were there when she was born. They heard the first words that came out of her mouth. Her first steps, they saw them. She is their daughter's baby, Mer. Are we being selfish? She isn't ours. Should we take control? Should we steal her from them?" He asked with sadness. "Do you want that on your conscience?" Meredith's eyes welled up. He stomach was rolling. It's contents were threatening to come out.

"You bastard." She spat as she stood up. "You do this, You dig, and then you throw it on me. You make me feel like I am the bad one. Like I am trying to rip a family apart. Screw you." She spat as she walked off down the aisle. The minute she makes it to the restroom, her stomach flips. And there she was, sitting on the plane's bathroom floor, feeling like shit.