Chapter 84

Meredith stood there. She was numb. Her life was changing. One way or another, things would be different. The thought of losing Anna was unbearable. Unimaginable, even. She had grown closer to Anna. She couldn't love Anna anymore even if she had given birth to her. If she left their lives, it would crush them. She knew that Anna's grandparents would never allow her to see she or Derek again. They had a lot to lose, and the thought made Meredith sick.

Derek stood completely still. The grip Meredith had on his hand was so tight, he was quickly losing feeling. She needed him. And he needed her. If they lost Anna, it would be the end of their world. It would be such a large piece torn out of them, that neither would ever fully recover. And with Meredith carrying the twins, he was even more worried. To lose his daughter, his wife and two unborn children was a sickening thought.

So they watched the screen, waiting for fate. Soon the families of the victims began pouring out of the courthouse with smiles on their faces. Meredith couldn't look away. She knew what she thought it meant. But she also knew that she didn't know anything anymore. She saw Derek look over at her. She didn't look, she focused on the screen. Then she was the defense and prosecuting attorneys. The Livingston's were no where to be found. This was good. Very good. Meredith heard someone mutter "turn it up." She watched as the prosecutor walked to the media.

"Today justice was served." He said with a victorious smile. "The jury found the defendants guilty."

"Oh my god." Meredith said with a gasped. She quickly turned to Derek and jumped in his arms.

"Oh thank god..." He muttered into her hair. "Thank you..."

It was bittersweet. They got what they wanted. To get what they needed, someone was going to prison. Two old people were going to spent most likely the rest of their lives in a eight foot by ten foot prison cells. Apart. They had been married for thirty years. Thirty years, and they most likely would never see each other again. They did kill people. Allegedly by mistake. No one would ever know for sure. Either way it was hard. And eventually Anna would know. Meredith thanked god that today wasn't that day.

"Congratulations!" Everyone began saying.

Meredith heard them. All she could think about was Derek. She never wanted to let him go. They would be happy forever. They wouldn't have to worry about losing her. A wave of relief washed over both of they. All they could think about was the little girl. She was sitting in school and had no idea. Neither Meredith or Derek would bring it up. They wouldn't tell her until she asked. Because right now it was perfect, and they wanted it to be that way for as long as they could keep it.

It was a good day. A day of relief. A perfect day where at the moment, everything was going as planned. For the first time in a long time, Meredith and Derek were off at nearly the same time. An hour apart. On the same day. And early, not in the late evening. In other words they were going to get to go home and see their daughter.

Derek spent all of his free time during the day on the phone talking to children services. After the sentencing, they were going to press forward. Derek and Meredith were going to attempt to adopt Anna. She was meant to have their last name. She was part of their family and she always would be.

Derek smiled when he was sitting in front of Anna's school. He was actually picking Anna up. Not Jane. Jane say more of Anna than either of them, and that was going to change. He watched as the kids poured out of the school like they were running for their lives. He watched Anna's face light up when she saw his car.

"Daddy!" She shouted as she nearly ripped the door off of it's hinges.

"Hey baby. How was your day?" Derek asked as he watched her climb in and put her seat belt on.