chasing stars - harriet hayes

summary: you've fallen madly in love with your best friend, harriet. although when she takes you to her press conference for her new movie, things don't go as planned.

warnings: homophobia / internalized homophobia.

word count: 1936

.   .   .

Being Harriet's best friend isn't always easy for you. When you first came out to her, she supported you, she didn't agree with it but she  supported you. It was terrifying to do so because Harriet has been your best friend for god knows how long, she helped you through so many things in your life and at this point, you don't think you could even live without having her in your life.

But being in love with her was a whole different story.

You've always pushed those feelings for your best friend away thinking maybe it was just a passing thing or maybe if you ignored them then they would just go away but they never did. So you always just sucked it up. When she calls you, asking you to help her get ready for date with another guy, you rush right over and help although deep in your heart you secretly wish that she was getting ready for a date with you.

But the thing is, when you came out to her, all the questions that she would get about her opinion on homosexual relationships, she would ignore them, act like she wasn't asked that. You knew it was most likely because she had loved you that much that she didn't want to tell the whole world it was a sin and lose her best friend but apart of you hoped for a different answer.

"How do i look?" You stood behind her, both looking it the mirror as she finished patting down her dress. "Beautiful" you could write a whole novel on just how beautiful Hannah Harriet Hayes looks but you kept it simple. "Well i can say the same for you" she turned towards you, running her hands over the sides of your dress. A blush rose on your cheeks and you almost choked on absolutely nothing.

She was taking you to a press conference that she had to do and truth be told, you were terrified because you didn't want any of the press to ask if you were her date, you couldn't handle hearing her say that two letter word. But when Harriet asked you to go, how could you decline her offer. Whenever she asks you something, you do it like a fool.

Silence took over the room. You were staring into her brown eyes, her hands were on your sides and you thought that if this had lasted any longer than you would've caved in and kissed her. But then she shook her head like she was trying to wake herself up from a daydream. "We should get going" and luckily she had already began walking and didn't wait for you to answer because with this lump in your throat, your words would've came out inaudible.

When you both arrived, the press immediately hit you both with questions as you walked in. You weren't as famous as Harriet, you do one sketch a week on Studio 60 but of course they wanted to know who Harriet would be walking in with.

You ignored all of their questions just like Harriet told you too. Either way, everyone's voice and clicking of cameras went fuzzy when you felt Harriet tightly grab your hand. She had held your hand before but this just felt different. You almost froze for a moment and Harriet looked back at you, mouthing an "are you okay" with a worried face and when your nodded, you both continued to walk into the building, away from the crowd.

"Are you sure you're okay, your face looks like it's burning up sweetheart" you cleared your throat "I'm fine it's just hot in here" she smiled at you albeit she clearly didn't believe you but brushed it off anyways.

You both took your seat in the crowd and waited for them to start. You could tell Harriet was getting a little nervous so you decided to be bold and grab her hand. You held your breath until she smiled at you, you were scared that she would be uncomfortable with you being the one to hold her hand considering her beliefs.