delilah - diane sherman

request: "so reader brings home a smol ginger kitty🥺 (matches diane's hair😎) and when diane's gets home she's all over that lil furball AND SO MUCH FLUFF🥺🥺 like will carry it like a baby and AHHHH-"

warning: none

word count: 949

.   .   .

Your eyes gazed upon the all the kittens in cages. There were so many, so many cute little faces without homes making it so hard to chose which one you wanted to take to your home.

You wanted to surprised Diane with a cat after she'd been talking a lot about them lately but hasn't actual went out and got one, being so busy. You knew whatever kitten you brought home she would love but you wanted the perfect one. One that she would love extra.

And then just when you were about to move onto the other selection, your eyes caught one.

It had ginger hair just like diane's, big warm brown eyes; it was practically Diane transformed into a cat. You walked towards the cage and it didn't even jump up like all the other ones did. It was almost as if it was tired of waiting for someone to adopt it.

You read the tag only to find out that it was a nameless female, only 16 weeks old, no siblings or parents. It looked so lonely and sad, her eyes pleading for you to take her home with you, show her love and affection.

You stared at the her for a second longer. She felt like the one, you just had to take her home.

Almost an hour later and you sat in your car with that same little kitten beside you in a small cage you bought her. "Hey little girl" you said, talking in that soft voice with your finger poked through the hole to pet her small head. "We're gonna take such good care of you. Diane's going to be all over ya" you smiled down at her for a brief second before starting up the car and heading back to your house.

When you pulled up, Diane's car was already back, alerting you that she was home after teaching a class today.

"Please be a good girl like you were in the store" you said as you took her out of the cage, holding her close to your chest. She was so tiny and felt almost weightless, the perfect cat for your household.

With your free hand, you grabbed the three bags that were filled with food, bowls, toys, a bed, everything that, that cat could desire and more.

"Now you don't make a noise, We're gonna surprise her" you shocked yourself at how much you were talking to this cat like it was an actual child but you couldn't help it when she gave you those big adorable eyes.

"Diane?" You said, you're voice lingering through the house as you opened the front door. When you got no response, you went up to your shared bedroom, knocking on the door.

"Come in" you heard her say through the wooden door and you did as you were told.

With the cat behind your back, you gave her a big smile as she turned around to face you. "Hey sweetheart" she began to stand up, stopping mid action when you saw your hand behind your back. "What's behind you?" she queried and you just stared at her with a your big dorky smile, not moving a muscle and honestly being shocked at how the cat has yet to make a single noise. It was almost like the cat could understand you when you told her to be quiet.

"Y/n?" she raised an eyebrow, her scolding tone coming out. "Relax, relax, i got you a surprise" seconds later, almost on cue, the cat let out a meow.

"Well there goes the surprise" you pulled the cat out from behind, watching as Diane's mouth dropped. "I told you to be quiet" you let out an airy chuckle at the cat.

"Y/n" she stood there, not knowing what to say "you didn't."

"I did."

"Here hold her." you passed the kitten to Diane who had tears building up in her eyes. "Oh my" she said breathlessly, holding the cat close to her front. "What's her name?" she held her up, admiring her face "she has no name, you have to pick one." Your heart felt so warm and fuzzy at the sight; Diane and a kitten was something you never thought you needed but now that you have it, you couldn't live without it.

"Mmm, i don't even know what to name her" she said, a single happy tear falling down her face "don't cry" you chuckled lightly, wiping the tear off her face "i love you...and her so much" she leaned forward kissing your lips, only to be interrupted by the cat letting out another loud meow.

You both let out a laugh "someone's jealous" you teased, petting the top of her head. "Do you like the name Delilah?" Diane queried abruptly. "I think that's a beautiful name."

"Just look at Delilah's adorable face" she pouted as she held the cat up to you "i'm feeling a bit jealous now" you said, teasingly with your arms crossed "Oh please" she punched your shoulder lightly "even though i may love Delilah a little more..." she trailed off as you gasped dramatically "i'm kidding, i'm kidding. You know i love you" she rested her head on you with Delilah still in her hands. You knew Diane was going to treat that cat like her child but it warmed your heart to know that you made her feel happy and content.

"Our little family is complete."