i'll be home for christmas - harriet hayes

summary: you invite harriet to come to your parents house for christmas to finally meet them. harriet has the hardest time, internally, afraid that they won't accept, considering her own family.

warnings: none

word count: 1598

.   .   .

Your cold hand interlocked with Harriet's jittery one. She was nervous, it wasn't any secret. And she didn't have to tell you for you to realize, you knew from the moment you asked her that she would get all anxious

"Harry" no response. She thought she had answered you but apparently she hadn't. "Harriet" you said, only a little louder, enough to pull her out of her train of thought that was about to crash into a series of everything that could go wrong today.

"What?" she replied. This time she had actually answered you although her voice was very low, almost like she didn't even realize she was talking. "It's all going to be okay" you said, pulling into your parents driveway and suddenly the car filled with negative energy from all the anxiety she was feeling, so much that you could feel it.

You felt terrible having put her in a situation that was so uncomfortable and nervous wracking for her but it had to happen. She had to meet them one day, especially if both you marry each other.

"It's okay. I'm here. They're going to love you. Just be yourself." you gave her hand a little squeeze and just sat there for a moment. You knew your siblings were probably watching you through the window but you didn't care. Right now, you needed to focus on making Harriet feel somewhat relaxed and comfortable.

"What if they don't like me" for the first time in the whole car ride, she had finally produced a full sentence. "Well you don't have to worry about that because I know for a fact that they will."

"I love you, nothing will ever change that. I'll be right next to you the entire time and if you ever feel uncomfortable or need a break, just tell me, okay?" she nodded, that was all you needed to know that she fully understood you.

Yet she was still scared. 'What if right as they saw their daughter with me, with a woman to be exact, they immediately take back they're acceptance' Harriet thought. All she could think back to was her parents and how they would think so awfully of her if they saw they saw what road she took in her dating like. If her parents were still alive, she wasn't sure she would even be in a relationship with you because of their impact with just their words.

"Ready?" You queried. She only hummed approvingly before getting out of the car. You were her one comfort, she always held your hand whenever she could to feel safe and loved but right now, holding your hand and having everyone see that you two were really in a relationship, that you both really loved each and were the same gender didnt seem to comforting to her.

You knocked on the door, immediately hearing a dog bark. It was definitely home.

Time began to move much slower for Harriet. It was only moments until that door would open and they would see who their daughter has picked up.

The door knob began to twist. Any second now. Then it creaked as it opened.

"Y/n!" Your mother had greeted you with a hug. "Hi mom" you've been so busy with Studio 60 that you've hardly had time to see your family. It was only a brief moment later that she turned to your girlfriend, her smiling never fading away.

"You must be Harriet, y/n has told us so much about you" you blushed. "It's nice to meet you Mrs Y/L/N" you could hear that the shakiness in Harriet's voice has subsided and it must've been from the way she wasn't greeted any differently than if she were to be a male.