the wedding will come and go, but our love will forever grow - cordelia goode

summary: it's the night before your wedding. all is fine except cordelia who is heartbroken with the fact that she has no parents to walk her down the isle. until she does.

warnings: mention of dead and absent parents.

word count: 1562

.   .   .

You shut the back door of the academy once you were safety in, pushing back your hair that had been fighting with the August heat for the entirety that you were in the greenhouse.

You should be sleeping the night before your wedding. Getting your beauty rest, beside your lover. However, you had a great excuse. You've spent your entire evening working on a surprise for your bride.

Although, you did feel extremely exhausted. You didn't even know what time it is.

With the lovely thought of your body hitting the soft mattress and having Cordelia's gentle arms secure around your body, it felt like a drag, walking up the significantly large staircase.

With the academy being so quiet -because the girls were almost excited for the wedding as you and Cordelia were so they were sure to get rest early- you were able to hear quiet sobs coming from your bedroom. You knew it was Cordelia from the way she tried to quiet herself down, not allowing herself to fully let it out as she was always told not to.

You recall your first week at the academy. Fiona had bashed her and screamed right in her face. Only a second later, Fiona was shaming Cordelia for crying over it.

There's not an invisible wall that protects Cordelia's heart from her mothers negativity towards her. She doesn't have a shield for her mothers sword when Fiona stabs her right in the heart. And maybe she doesn't immediately bleed, but she still has a wound that soon turns into a scar that she can never get rid of. It's always there to remind her of her most painful insecurities.

Her body was hunched over into a small ball, you could've mistaken her for a tall child.

"Delia?" You called out in the room, not surprised when your voice echoed back to you.

She tried to speak back but her voice only caught in her throat, mistaken for a sob. Hot tears began to stream heavier down her face. She didn't want to ruin this weekend. And now she felt like she has, all because of her intrusive thoughts. In Fiona's grave, she still haunted Cordelia.

"Delia, what's wrong baby?" You worried that she might have cold feet. You suddenly couldn't push down your own insecurities that Cordelia would never want to actually want to call you her wife.

"I'm sorry" she breathed through her sobs but she could quickly feel a lump forming in her throat again. As if it was telling her to not speak, to not share her feelings because you or anyone who were to hear would take that as an advantage to hurt her more and make her seem fooling, like she was crying just to cry.

It reminded her of when she was a child, crying when she sprained her arm while her friend beside her had just broken their leg. Her mother was disgusted that Cordelia was being so 'selfish' when someone was hurting more. But it didn't mean Cordelia wasn't hurting. Maybe not the same as her friend but hell, it still hurt.

"Hey, I told you to not apologize for feeling and for having emotions. I just want to know what's wrong, honey" you said and she finally looked up at you after her face was shamefully hidden in her knees.