for the hope of it all - diane sherman

requested by anon on tumblr: any sarah character / falling for your professor / happy ending

warnings: none

note: reader is not a minor so it's legal bffs!

word count: 2186

.   .   .

The end of the year was approaching and it wasn't as exciting as it typically is. Graduation was soon and yet you couldn't find it in yourself to count down the days with exhilaration. You wanted to leave school finally, yes, but you couldn't leave her.

Miss Sherman had been your English instructor for the entire year now. You had never got too close to any teachers throughout the years, but Miss Sherman was different. Almost as if she wanted to get close to you.

You had spent many after school hours with her -even if you didn't need extra help on assignments or the lesson. You would stay to help her, and maybe even fake stupidity so she could teach you one on one.

Your many absences had nearly disappeared at this point. You wanted to come, every single day, just so you could see her.

The bell rang and the class cleared out. You rushed to shove your papers into your bag as the room become quiet. "Y/n, can you stay back for a minute, honey?" Honey. She always called you that. You could say she called everyone that or she was just saying it to be nice, but if you looked back on the way she addresses other students, you'd be lying.

You hummed your approval and once your shaky hands managed to shove your folder into your bag, you   placed it on your back and walked up to her desk.

She looked up at you and smiled, for just a moment it was silent. And you think your brain might explode with these long stream of thoughts. She leaned her elbows on her desks and propped her head in her hands. She's in the perfect position for you to kiss her, and you're right there, and nobody else is around. But you quickly shake those thoughts away. That is extremely inappropriate.

"You seemed very lost in your thoughts today. I just want to make sure you're okay." Her voice was gentle and her eyes softened as she spoke. Everything about her was so welcoming and she felt just like the feeling  of coming home after a long day. "Are you okay," she asked, seriously this time.

You cleared your throat and nodded. In fact, not okay. It was far too difficult to pay attention with the blouse she wore today. The cut, not risqué, but lower than usual. "I'm fine. I'm just really tired."

"Are you sure you're just tired, sweetie? You don't seem like yourself. Very flustered and on-edge." If she wasn't being so sweet, you would've thought that she was out to get you.

You fiddled with the straps of your bag. A nervous habit that you picked up on. Her eyes adverted to your hands and she noticed how fidgety you were being. "Positive. My mind was just running a lot last night and I couldn't seem to shut it off."

"Alright," she smiled. You knew she wasn't fully content with your answer, but she decided to let it slide. "Well you know i'm here for you if you ever want to talk."

"I know. Thank you, Miss Sherman. Bye, have a nice weekend." You begin to walk back out of the classroom, just as your name was called again. You turned back around and she was closer than you anticipated.

She seemed to be unfazed by the closeness of it all, but you were sure that she could hear your pounding heart. "Almost forgot; there's a paper due on Mon—"

And, fuck, she looked so pretty close up like this. You tried your hardest to hold yourself back, you really did, but you truly wanted to sleep tonight and you couldn't if all you could think about is how would her lips feel against mine.