say yes to me - merrill

requested by anon on tumblr: Would you be okay with writing a story with Merrill from swimmers? Just some fluff, or hurt/comfort.
prompt - when you find a plane ticket in merrill's room, you almost freak out about it, until she breaks the great news to you.

note: this writing is shit...but i hope y'all enjoy it. I also just hit 100k reads on this book!!

warnings: none

word count: 1215

.   .   .

Merrill was the girl who really looked at you. She was the first girl who took an hour out of her day to hang out at the beach, or stir up some trouble by the docks right beside you. She was the first girl, the first person, to not only see you, but see who you really were.

Merrill was the only person you truly cared for, and sometimes, in this small town, it felt like you two were the only ones in this world.

You knew that she was only here for a short while. You knew she was only here for closure on her past. You always knew that. But once she became your other half, you figured she would stay just a while longer. Maybe even consider moving here.

"Merrill, come down here for a minute!" Shellie, her aunt, called from downstairs as you were both laying in Merrill's bed.

You were at you girlfriends house pretty much everyday. It's not like anyone was missing you back home. Your parents were always out at the bars, and so you didn't want to stay in your dark empty house with just yourself to entertain.

Merrill grunted, and you shifted your body so she could get up. She was all about physical touch, and you were too. You lacked it, especially in your family. And since Merrill's mother died, she did too.

"I'll be right back, baby."

While she was downstairs, you stood up to use her bathroom. You walked by her dresser that had many different trinkets on it, including her camera that she uses to constantly take pictures of you.

Though, what really caught your eye was a plane ticket. You weren't nosy, and you never snooped through anyones stuff, but it was laying right in the open and Merrill hadn't told you that she was going on a trip.

You picked it up to study the ticket closer. The planes takeoff was a week from the current day. August fifteenth. And for a moment, you were going to put it down and ask where she was going on vacation, instead.

But, when you caught a glimpse of the destination being the previous place she lived at -or rather the current, since she was just visiting- you wanted to scream. And not at her, but at the universe for setting you up like this.

She could go wherever she wanted, whenever she wanted. She was a grown adult. But, the fact that she would be almost across the country from you, just didn't feel right.

It wasn't just a simple state nearby that you could visit once and awhile, making a road trip out of it. You had to take a plane, and you didn't have the money for that, considering your parents didn't help out.

"I swear to god, she calls me-"

"Merrill, what is this?" You cut the brunette off, because you could hardly listen to her blabber when all you wanted to do was cry.

You loved listening to her voice, it even helps you fall asleep as childish as that possibly sounds, but right now, you didn't even want to look at her.

"Oh"

"You're going to leave?" You're going to leave me? You said it with tears building up in your eyes, and you felt awful, because you knew this decision certainly hurt Merrill too.

"Listen-"

She walked closer. You stepped back.

"No. You're going to leave. And- and i'm not going to be able to see you!" Your voice crack had completely broken you down, and Merrill had gently grasped your wrist to keep you in place.

"Listen. I'm not leaving without you," she assured, and she said it as if she was astonished that you thought she would possibility leave you. But you couldn't understand what she meant, and you could hardly hear her other your sniffles.

"I can't afford plane tickets, Merrill. I can't even-"

"That's actually what I was going to surprise you with today...I just- I shouldn't have left it out in open." She chuckled to herself, and smiled at you like nothing was wrong it the world. Like she wasn't moving away from the only person that mattered to her.

"Huh?"

"Look, I was going to see if you wanted to move back with me. It's okay if you don't want to go but I bought you a ticket so you don't have to worry about it. See-" she reached into one of her drawers, and pulled out a second ticket. You blinked a few times, trying to comprehend it all.

"Merrill I- I don't know what to say."

"Yes. Say yes!" She said, a little too hopeful. As much as you hated to admit it, you had a life down here still. Your parents, your work, and you've never left this town once before.

"As much as I would love to...I just- my parents and everything." You looked down, you knew what this meant. Merrill was still going to go, and leave you behind. You would never see a single trace of her again, besides the memories that laid out on your heart.

"Listen" she grabbed your hands, and squeezed them. Her face was close to yours, her body was slightly pressed against you. It made it hard for you to not just say yes and move with her. "I get it but, your parents they...they don't appreciate you enough. You deserve to live freely without them weighing you down, and tearing you apart."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah" Merrill confirmed. She was right too. "And there's a lot of great career paths down there. I mean, I know we don't have all the money in the world, but we can make due as long as we're together."

"So if I say yes...we can live together. Just you and me, away from this place?" You moved her hands, wrapped her arms around your waist, without her even resisting.

She moved her face in closer, her hot breath against your face, and said, "just you and me." And then she kissed you, like the first time all over again, for starting a new life with her.

"I love you so goddamn much" Merrill mumbled, and then lifted you up. You squealed, from the excitement and shock, and wrapped you legs around her waist.

"I love you too. So goddamn much."

She laid you on her bed, and her own body fell on top of yours. After kissing your face all over, and with heavy breathing, she spoke again, "To starting a new life."

"To starting a new life" you echoed, and went back to kissing her right after. To starting a new life, and a family, is what you wanted to say. Maybe not yet, but you knew this was going to last until you were in your grave.