rewrite the stars pt.4 - harriet hayes

summary: you're a new cast member on studio 60. what happens when you stumble upon harriet hayes herself? what will happen if you have to share a dressing room with her?

warnings: none

word count: 1232

.   .   .

"What were you and y/n talking about?" Matt asked, looking at Harriet as if he was angry that she was even talking to you when he was the one to room you both. "What do you mean 'what were we talking about?' how is that any of your business?" He crossed his arms, pulling her to the side when he noticed how crowded the after party was and how heated Harriet was already getting. "Harriet i saw your hand on her cheek, i saw you back away when i walked in" he said. "Matt are you insinuating what i think you are? Because i'm not gay" he took in a good look at her before sighing and walking away while shaking his head in disbelief.

The actress stood there for a moment, puzzled. She wasn't gay, was she? She wasn't in love with you she just loves all her friends a lot. Then she threw her face in her hands, she really really loves you.
____
"Morning" Harriet's voice lingered through the halls until it finally made it ways to your dressing room. You were dreading this morning a lot, you haven't seen Harriet since Friday when she ditched you.

"Morning y/n"

"Morning" you muttered, not meaning for your voice to come off as cold as it did.

A loud sigh escaped her lips, she dropped her bags on to the couch before walking over to you. "y/n" she grabbed your attention "i'm so sorry for Friday night it's just, he wanted to take me" she trailed off "it's okay, i understand" you said, surprising the woman.

"You do?" in a way you could understand; you would drop everything for Harriet just like Harriet would drop everything for Matt. You hummed as a response before turning back to your desk. "Buuut" a small smiled stretched your lips and you slowly turned back to her "i thinks it only fair that you make it up to me."

"Oh really? And how's that" she questioned, the same teasing tone that you had, lacing her voice.

"Meet me for dinner tonight?" she were sure bold for that one and you really weren't thinking about it in the moment; it was something you just said and were going to regret it once it came the time to leave and you were freaking out.

Harriet hesitated before answering. She so wanted to say yes but at the same time, she just couldn't; it was so hard for her. Even if it was an innocent move, just going as friends, it was still risky especially since she knew Matt easily got jealous and lately, he's been on to her.

Although, it was mostly her own head telling her to say no. She knew she would get closer and closer to you which would only make it harder for her to not fall in love -because she already already feel that happening- and everything would hurt much more.

"My parents actually invited me to dinner with them, i haven't seen them, being so busy" she lied; she had just seen them the other day and they didn't not in fact invite her to dinner "how about lunch here, today?" she questioned. It was less formal, not totally in public, just a simple friendly lunch.

"Yeah sure, that's fine" you were definitely upset about her response but you couldn't entirely be mad about it; she was going with her parents, at least she didn't stand you up to go with Matt again.

"Alright then, it's a date" you giggled at her "do you use that every time someone makes plans with you?"

"Maybe i overuse that term" she said.

"I think you do" you reached up to her golden locks, twirling a piece of her hair through your fingers. She just stood there like she couldn't move; her feet were glued to the ground and her muscles were suddenly weak.

"Well we better get down to the stage, i think we kept them waiting long enough" you said once you were done having control over Harriet -or that's what it felt like.-

"Yes! The stage, rehearsal, i almost forgot" she stuttered out, she was flustered and her face was literally matching with the red top that she was wearing. You still found it absolutely adorable and wondered if she would've got even more flustered if she saw the way you were smiling at her at the moment.
        ____
"I never got to compliment you're performance Friday" Harriet said, looking up at you from her lunch. "You didn't and don't have to so please don't" you hate compliments, you don't know how to respond or react to them and you hate how flustered you get, it would be even worse from Harriet.

"Oh y/n, stop it" she playfully hit your arm. You knew it was coming so you looked down at your plate to avoid any eye contact. "You were fantastic."

"Nope" you covered your ears, making it known that you didn't like this.

"Amazing" she said as she reached over the table, grabbing your hands off your ears. She held your hand tightly over the table so you couldn't do that again but all you could focus on was how Harriet was holding your hand and how she keeps on doing that every now and then.

"Spectacular"

"Are you done now?"

"Not even close but for your sake, i'll stop" she said and you smiled at her "you were amazing too!"

"Noooo don't start either" she groaned throwing her head back. You brushed your thumb over her hand that was still interlocked with yours; that got her attention.

"Im serious Harry, i would always watch this show, you were my inspiration. I couldn't take my eyes off of you" she beamed at you for a moment, you could see tears building up in her eyes but a few bats of her eyes lids and they were gone. "That means a lot coming from you, thank you."

"Oh so if it wasn't me then it wouldn't mean anything?" you teased, a smirk visible on your face.

"Oh shut up" she punched your shoulder and you laughed at how hard she tried to punch you but it felt like she just tapped you "weak!" you taunted and the actress let out a dramatic gasp "i'm not weak!"

"Oh you so are!" you crossed your arms looking away "fine you win but i'll get you back." You smiled, content that you won before you both got up when your lunch break was over.

"Oh, hold on you got a little something there" she reached her hand up to you mouth, her finger slowly swiping away the residue of the raspberries that you were eating, off your lips. Her finger was moving so slow, so incredibly slow that it was like she was waiting for you to do something about it, for you to just have enough; lean forward and kiss that grin off her face.

"All gone" she said, smirking on at you. This was like a game you both played where one teased the other; you were going to win and get her to crack.