hold me tight and make me feel okay - harriet hayes

summary: you decide to take harriet on an ice skating date. now you're both spending the night in the hospital. harriet with a concussion and a scared girlfriend.

warnings: blood & concussions

word count: 1360

.   .   .

"I can't skate! I'm going to fall on my ass or better yet; crack my head open" Harriet exclaimed. And at the time, it was said as a joke. Nothing more than Harriet being her usual dramatic self and getting a laugh out of you. You had just wished it had stayed as a joke. Something that you could look back on and laugh about.

"Oh relax, Harry. I'll hold you" you said while finishing tying your skate.

At first, Harriet tried to stand up but had immediately fallen back down on the bench. You laughed at her, causing her to pout at you, though, you could see a smiling tugging at her lips.

"You weren't holding me right then!" She said and crossed her arms. "Well I didn't tell you to get up, did I?"

You stood up and tightly secured your arm around her waist while helping her up. She looked unsure and you could see a smidgen of fear on her face. But with your arms wrapped tightly around her, the feeling of warmth had seized her body, making her fear crumble into a little crumb to where she could hardly feel it.

Once you had finally made it to the rink, though -which lucky for Harriet, was almost empty so she wouldn't make a fool out of herself as she was already a public figure- her eyes had widened and she somehow tripped over her foot. If it weren't for you holding her, she would've fell flat on her face.

"Harry! We haven't even taken a single step on the ice yet and you're already falling, you goof"  you teased.

"Oh shut it!"

You decided to finally move because you were both blocking the entrance. "Love, we're gonna start skating okay? Are you ready?"

"Y-yeah" she said shakily. Luckily, you've been skating since you could walk. Harriet had nothing to worry about. However, you knew Harriet would still be nervous not matter what.

Within the first two minutes, you both began to glide along the ice. Or rather you did and Harriet had almost all her body weight on your side. But still, she managed to nearly fall at least ten times.

But as time passed, she started to get the hang of it and before you knew it, she was skating on her own. Or rather, holding on to the wall for dear life. But still, she didn't have you holding her which was a step up.

"Look at you go Harry!" you said, skating directly beside her. She gave a a shy smile and looked down to hide her blush. But she immediately snapped her head back up when she realized that she did not want to crash.

"I'm gonna try without the wall" she declared. You were a little nervous but you weren't going to hold her back from what she wanted or thought she could do.

With slow, swift moments, her grip on the wall loosened until she was eventually on her own.

Surprisingly -as if the gods above were holding her up-  she had successfully made it a few feet.

You cheered her on and your heart warmed, seeing how joyful and proud she looked.

You looked away for a second, only a second. That was until you heard Harriet cry out in what sounded like pain and heard a smack on the ice.