everything works out in the end - mildred ratched

requested by anon on tumblr: reader takes Mildred home to meet her family, and Mildred is of course terrified at the prospect due to her past experiences. Everything ends up going well and is fully accepted into the family with open arms. Just a bunch of fluffy emotional comfort.

note: this is absolute trash. i have writers block.

word count: 1270

.   .   .

"Mildred, love, you're fine. They'll love you. I promise." Mildred Ratched didn't know what it was like to have a family. She didn't know what it was like to sit at a dinner table with parents and siblings. This was all new. Something she should've experienced from the moment she got brought home from the hospital as a newborn.

Now she was even older than the age her mother was when Mildred was born, and she was just, now, about to experience a family.

"I know," her expression became cold again, but your palm against her leg softened her. "If you're parents don't appr—"

"Mildred, they will. They're not like everyone else. They're different." The car was freezing, in the middle of autumn, and the warm fireplace inside your childhood house was inviting. You pulled Mildred's jacket tighter around her body to warm her.

"Alright." She didn't believe you, you could see it in her eyes. She was trying hard to not break her hard demeanor. It was something she used to protect herself, something she learned over the years, and you, had the hammer to crack that wall around her.

"Don't be nervous, pretty. I'll be beside you the entire time, I promise." You leaned over the seat, pressing a chaste kiss to her pink-tinted cheek.

Orange and yellow leaves crunched under your boots, and the brittle air arose goosebumps on your skin. Mildred attempted to make a distance between the both of you, trying to obliterate your relationship for the time being. However, you held her tight and softly against your side.

A deep breath whistled in your ear while you knocked against the wooden door with your free hand. Moments went by and Mildred had yet to make conversation with you, hence her dry throat and racing head. She couldn't form a proper sentence.

The door slightly creaked open and fully widened when your identities were known. "Y/n," your mother exclaimed, excitedly. She wrapped her arms around you tightly, her warm body pressing against yours. "How are you, baby? It's been awhile."

"I'm good ma. I know, I'm sorry. It's been so busy at the hospital lately."

You felt Mildred's hand squeezes yours slightly tighter. Her cold hand was sweating in yours. "Don't apologize, sweetie. I know you have a little lover that you've been spending your time with."

Your mother turned with a big smile towards your girlfriend. A gasp elicited from Mildred when she was pulled into a tight embrace. You watched as her body tensed, and then relaxed at the touch. You smiled at the encounter.

"You must be Mildred. It's a pleasure to finally meet you!" Your mother pulled away but held on to the side of her arms. "Y/n has told me so much about you!"

Mildred laughed, soft and light. She's happy. "It's nice to meet you too, Mrs. y/l/n." She side eyed you and continued, "All good things I hope."

"Oh definitely! Y/n adores you. And please, just call me Elaine"

Your cheeks flamed with red fire, and you coughed to quell the embarrassment inside of you of Mildred knowing that her name was a popular subject on the phone with your mother. "Alright. Let's go in before you scare Mildred away," you teased.

The three of you walked further into the house. The warmth instantly hit you, and although you were cold, it didn't help tame your flustered cheeks.

This time, Mildred grabbed your hand again as you both followed your mother into the dining room. The table was set with multiple bowls and plates of food items. Your brother and sister sat with your other mother.

You felt Mildred tense again. You didn't tell me you had two mothers, you could hear Mildred already planning her words for later on.

"Y/n! Mildred! Welcome. Come, sit, sit," your second mother greeted. She was less touchy, and you recognize that Mildred appreciated that. She wasn't too fond of being touched by strangers, even if it was the most important woman of her life's mother.

The both of you sat down in the two open seats beside your sister. Your mother took a seat across from you both while Mildred greeted the three of them.

"How did you two even meet?" Your brother, with a mouthful of food, asked. Your older sister sister nudged him in the side to remind him of his manners.

However all eyes were set on the both of you. Mildred's body temperature heated up. "We both work at the same hospital," the red head spoke up. You grinned. She's slowly feeling more comfortable. "Y/n was working night shifts while I was working day shifts so we didn't meet until her schedule got switched."

Your other mother, Cindy, smiled and reached across the table for Mildred's hand. She placed it over hers, however, your girlfriend yet to tense at the touch this time. "Welcome to the family, Mildred. We are so glad that y/n found someone as sweet as you."

You placed your hand on the small of Mildred's back, out of sight for everyone. "Thank you. I'm glad that I found y/n, myself." She side-eyed you with the corners of her mouth lifted slightly. You looked down at your lap to hide your red cheeks.

Dinner went by fairly smoothly, and Mildred had become nearly as comfortable as she is with you. The prospect of a family dinner had always been such a negative thing to Mildred. However, after tonight, she fears she does not want to leave. She's afraid that everything is going too gracious and she cannot run away this time.

Thankfully, you've already warned both your mothers and siblings to not question anything about Mildred's childhood, or family. You wanted this to go as seamlessly as possible, and not trigger any flashbacks or cause an awkward moment.

Your whole family stood once the dishes were cleared of the food. You brushed away the invisible wrinkles on your clothes and hugged your family goodbyes.

Out the corner of your eye you watch Mildred open herself up and hugged all four of them. She smiled, and laughed when your brother made a joke. She didn't tense when your mother Elaine kissed her cheek, or when your mother Cindy's hand was on her shoulder. She found her family. After all those years, she found her true family here with you.

The door behind you shut and the crisp autumn air swept you both away. You squeezed her hand once more to contain your excitement. Mildred's smile had yet to fade. Either of yours.

"What did I tell you," you asked, relaxing into the seat of the car. "They loved you, Mildred. They did! I could tell."

"You have a great family." She placed her hand against your thigh, goosebumps rising through your clothes. "I really enjoyed tonight."

You placed your hand atop of hers on your leg, dreamily smiling at her. Brown eyes warmed your heart, sending heat signals to warm up your entire body. "I enjoyed you."

She smirked, looking out the window, and then back to you to ensure that you were both alone. "Would you like to enjoy me some more?"