rewrite the stars pt.5 - harriet hayes

summary: you're a new cast member on studio 60. what happens when you stumble upon harriet hayes herself? what will happen if you have to share a dressing room with her?

note: this is the last part of rewrite the stars!

warnings: none

word count: 1238

.   .   .

The following three weeks had gone almost the exact same; little touches that mean the world to you, lunches together, she even had you join her at the after parties to make up for her mistake.

Harriet had thought that over time, her feelings towards you would calm down tremendously and she would realize that it wasn't anything more than a friendship, it never did. Which makes it all that much harder in her; she doesn't want to literally fall into your trap but she had already stumbled a bit into it, now her foots stuck and she can't leave.

With Matt in the picture, it made it even worse. They weren't together yet he still thought he could control her and who she dates. Matter of fact, he didn't want her to be with anyone but himself but you could tell that Harriet really wasn't in love with Matt anymore, you knew she was in love with you; at least that's what you were led on to believe.

Tonight's after party was different though. The playful conversations start as usual before Matt interrupted you both, asking Harriet for a dance to celebrate tonight's success. How could she turn him down when he gave her the most charming smile, giving you an apology to make her fall for the kindness that he was faking.

She danced around the area where the rest of them were as well. His hands were around her waist and hers around his neck. Her body danced around the room but her heart stayed in place with you.

Your eyes communicated across the room with hers like a signal guiding her lost boat towards shore to rescue you. She couldn't look at his lips without feeling that she was betraying you and you could see that but you had to let her find her own way home.

You were stuck in a wistful daydream that you hadn't even noticed that the actress had excused herself from her dance with Matt and was now beside you.

How long have you been staring at them?

"Shouldn't you be out there with Matt?" you asked out of curiosity, wondering why she chose to be with you instead.

"A dance only lasts so long" Harriet giggled.

If she were to have a dance with you, you would make sure it would never end.

"Right" you looked down at your feet. Why tonight had been so awkward between the both of you? You couldn't quite answer that question. Something must be in the air to make you feel so off.

"Um i'm going to get some air" you looked at up at the woman, watching as her smile had melted into a frown, upset that you were leaving her, scared that you wouldn't come back.

"I'll come with you" she had announced, sounding as excited as if she had just solved the worlds hardest math problem. Of course you would never have a problem being around Harriet, matter of fact, you go out of your way to be with her but right now you needed just some alone time.

Although, her blissful eyes and big beautiful smile made it hard for you to tell her that you wanted to be alone.

As you walked towards the door, she began to tell you about anything that had popped into her head but your attention was focused on the way her lips moved and the way that the moonlight illuminates her ravishing face in the best ways.

"It's so beautiful out tonight" she said, sitting alongside you on a wooden bench that was a little further away from the door.

She was right; this past week had been down pouring and today was the one day that it wasn't. It was like the universe was giving a sign. Something was going to happen tonight, you just felt it.

"Not as beautiful as you" the words had just slipped out of your mouth. You've done so much thinking these past few weeks that your brain was just so tired of it so the only other thing left to do was spit those thoughts out.

Only a brief second later had it dawned on you what you said. Your face flushed red and you could tell that Harriet's did too making you both blushing messes. But, before you could take it back and apologize for making this uncomfortable, she was already giggling, thanking you for the sweet, bold but sweet compliment.

"Thank you but you..." she had trailed off as her finger traced along your jawline so delicately like she was observing a piece of art work "...are stunning."

You let out a sigh, gazing into her bewitch eyes. You couldn't hold yourself back anymore. You knew it was bound to happen one of these days whether it was destiny or not.

You hooked your finger under her chin to get a good grip on her. Time had felt like it was going in slow motion as you leaned forward. Closer, and closer, and closer until...

It was just a small peck that you gave her, or maybe a little longer than a simple peck. It felt nice but fear grew within you. You had just kissed the Christian girl that never stood by homosexuality. You had just kissed Harriet Hayes.

Then, the fear that boiled inside of you was replaced with an euphoric, fuzzy, feeling in your heart. Harriet Hayes pulled you back in for a kiss.

By the way her tongue slid so aggressively, so passionately into your mouth and the way her hands gripped your hair, it was clear as day that she wasn't ashamed. Harriet Hayes was kissing a girl, a women in public and she wasn't ashamed.

You had both broke your lips away from each other simultaneously to breathe though you never broke apart, your hands still wondered on her sides and your foreheads were leaned up against each other's.

"I love you Harry" you said breathlessly. Although you made it clear already, you still wanted to say it, get it out into the world, scream it into a megaphone off the highest of towers.

"I've loved you from the start, y/n i just...i didn't know how to feel about my feelings but now i know. I do love you, so much." Tears had slowly rolled down her face, turning ice cold as the night air had gotten ahold of them.

You felt the need to cup her face just like she had done to you before. Your thumb brushed over her cheek, wiping away the tears. You leaned forward to give her another kiss, this time on her forehead. Though it sure wasn't going to be the last kiss.

She beamed at you, sniffling. "What do you say we ditch this party and i take you to dinner?" Harriet said. You let out an airy chuckle "I would love that...it only took you forever" she laughed as you began to walk down the street. You felt her arm snake around your waist. This was right, it felt right and it felt comfortable. You had finally found your other half.