called me up again just to break me like a promise - foxxay

summary: misty's parents finally contact misty after she left, or rather died on a bad note. when they plan to meet up for lunch since the first time since, it doesn't go exactly as planned. cordelia is there for emotional support and for comfort when they let misty down yet again.

warnings: none

word count: 2894

.   .   .

"Why would they wanna see me again? They burned me at the stake. They're awful. And now that they find out i'm alive, they think that everything's just peachy" Misty sighed and dramatically thew herself onto her and Cordelia's bed. It was all too confusing for her.

It was a Friday afternoon and Misty had gotten a letter in the mail from her mother and father, stating that they would like to catch up over lunch. Misty had died many times, lived in a swamp for a few years, she'd been to hell and back. She didn't have the energy for this. Now that she had Cordelia and the girls at the academy that she considered family, she didn't need her parents.

"I know, Misty. I wish I had an answer for you" Cordelia said, and sat down beside Misty. The cajun leaned over and rested her head on the older woman's shoulder. Cordelia started to run her fingers through the wild blonde curls. "They don't deserve you. But if you want to see them, that's your decision. I'm not going to tell you what to do."

"But Delia" Misty huffed "I don't know what to do."

"Do what feels right to you, honey."
-
That was a week and a day ago. Now, Misty and Cordelia were getting ready to go meet her parents at a local restaurant.

Cordelia had never met them before, but from the stories that Misty had told her, she hadn't grown too fond of them for what they had done to her dearest love. She wasn't excited about today. She was anxious, and mostly because it was seeping out of Misty and onto her.

"I'm real nervous, Delia" Misty said. The cajun was pacing around the room. She had gotten ready at eight in the morning when they didn't have to leave until one.

"Mist, love, i'm going to need you to sit down for a minute. Please. I can't talk to you when your running around here like a chicken with it's head cut off" Cordelia teased. She was trying to lighten up Misty's mood, but it hadn't quite worked. Misty's eyebrows were still knitted together, and her eyes were glassy.

But she listened and took a seat beside Cordelia.

"Misty" Cordelia said again, and hooked her finger under Misty's chin. She now had the younger woman's full attention. "If you feel uncomfortable at any moment and want to leave, you just let me know and we will, okay?" Day nodded. "And you don't have to tell them anything about your life if you don't want to. If you do, then that's fine. I'm going to be right next to you the entire time, and I promise I won't let them hurt or take advantage of you, alright?"

"Alright, baby. I love ya a whole bunch." She leaned in and kissed Cordelia's lips. She attempted to deepen it but with Cordelia always being on schedule, she pulled away. "I love you too, honey, but we have to go. Save that for later" Cordelia winked, and with that, they were out the door.
-
"I tell ya, Delia, as angry as I am at them, I'm still excited" Misty said, while Cordelia was focused on the road. Fleetwood Mac was playing at a low volume because Misty would always refuses to get into the car unless it's on. She's still getting used to the whole 'car' thing after not being in one her entire life. Her parents couldn't afford one and she didn't live around taxi's or busses. So, putting on Fleetwood Mac wasn't a big deal if it made Misty feel at ease.

"That's good" Cordelia grabbed Misty hand and left the other one on the wheel. "It's okay to have mixed emotions about it too. They betrayed you but they're still your parents so it's makes it much more confusing."