get better - diane sherman

summary: you came down with something and you try to brush it off as allergies but diane's having no part of that.

note: diane's not 'crazy' in this, it's just normal, soft Diane.

warning: pills, vomiting, sickness.

word count: 1303

.   .   .

What had awoken you was the loud rain pouring down on the window while a big crack of thunder struck. Or, you could say that's what awoke you and not the throbbing in your head or the scratching in your throat.

You had to go to work so it was just allergies that you would say it was. You always got bad allergies when the weather began to change and clearly, by the storm that was taking place outside, the weather was in fact beginning to change.

You tried to get up, work started early for you and you always liked to have time to relax so you had to get up before you could even see your girlfriend.

Albeit, getting up was quite a challenge. The throbbing in you head just intensified; it was unbearable. You suddenly felt nauseous the longer you sat up. Maybe some extra sleep would do you good. You laid back down or more like threw yourself back down, Diane only slightly stirred in her sleep, it -thank god- wasn't enough to wake her up. Ten more minutes you told yourself cuddling closer to Dianes side, totally sure that you weren't going to oversleep but the pain behind your eyes only made them droopy which soon shut them.
-
"Sweetheart" you felt the lightest nudge and the feeling of Dianes hand running up and down your arm. "Mhm" you hummed sleepily, barely awake to put together a sentence. "You're late" those words immediately shot your eyes open; being late for work was your biggest fear.

"What?" you said, trying to sit up but just like earlier, you fell right back into Diane. You groaned. Every noise you heard made your head feel like there was a fire going on inside your brain. The noise of the heater going, the rain pouring down, even the sound of your own breathing.

"It's nine" she said. Work started at nine. "mkay" you nuzzled your head into your girlfriends neck but that was a terrible idea because she could now feel how hot your forehead was. "Y/n, sweetheart, your burning up" she pressed the back of her cold hand against your forehead, only then, when you felt how cold her hand was against your skin, that you realized how badly you were burning up.

"No i'm fine, i have to get to work" you words meant absolutely nothing because you weren't even attempting to get up anymore and your hoarse voice was just proving that you weren't fine.

You could say that you were trying to hide the sickness from Diane but really it was from yourself. You didn't like to be run down. You were go, go, go and so you didn't want to be just be lugged in bed all day for days while you have your girlfriend do everything for you. Either way, you didn't want to burden her so if you told yourself that you were okay, then you were.

"Oh no, you're not going to work, it seems that you have a fever" Diane said sternly, emphasizing her words "oh yes i am" this time when you got up, you knew you should've just listened to Diane because now you were running straight to the bathroom with one hand over your mouth and the other wrapped around your stomach.

The floor tiles were icy cold but under your touch, they felt burning hot. You felt overwhelmed, you hated throwing up, you hated being sick, you hated all of this. You felt your hair being pulled back into a low ponytail as you threw up.

A hand; Dianes hand, gently ran up and down your back, that was all she could do right now and she felt awful that she couldn't do more, that she couldn't just instantly make you feel better.

You were crying out for her, sobbing in between gags. You hated going to work but right now, work sounding much better than this.

Soon, one of your hands tightly gripped on to Dianes beige colored sweater but she un gripped your hand and brought it to her lips, kissing your knuckles as she whispered reassuring words to you.

And then it all finally ended or you wish it all did. The room spun, you felt exhausted, all you did was fall into Diane's lap and cry. "Oh sweetheart" she cooed, not even above a whisper, keeping in mind that your head didn't feel amazing either.

She wiped the sweat off your forehead. You felt hot like you were burning in a volcano but that didn't stop your body from shivering, making it impossible to decide if you need to layer up or wear hardly any clothes at all.

"Let's get you back to bed honey" you were disoriented, you didn't hear the words coming out of her mouth until you felt her began to get up. You whimpered, your body ached, hurt, everything hurt. "I know baby" she cooed, grabbing ahold of your waist because you both knew that you walking yourself wasn't an option.

Your head bobbled, you could barely keep it up so you dropped it onto Diane's shoulder. "Here we are" she gently laid you down into the bed, tucking you under the warm, neutral colored blankets. She leaned down to kiss your forehead, her lips lingering there for a moment. You wondered how she was so brave to even come near you when you were this sick.

"Don't go" you wined, grabbing onto her wrist when she began to walk away from you "i'm just going to get you some medicine from the bathroom, pretty. I'll be right back" she grabbed your hand that was wrapped tightly around her wrist and peppered some kisses on the top before disappearing off into the bathroom.

You stared up at the ceiling, that's all you could do. You had no energy to move even a single bone. You felt trapped in this bed because you knew that if you got up, you wouldn't like the outcome of the feeling in your head or stomach. The only thing that helped was closing your eyes, it made your headache feel somewhat manageable.

"Take this sweetheart" you almost groaned at having to open your eyes again. One things for sure; you could not sit up. "Mhm, thanks" you said, your voice hoarse and wavering. For a moment you wondered if that even was you speaking.

A pill that was smooth and easy to swallow felt like burning glass going to down your throat. You couldn't even swallow your water without having your throat feel like it's been rubbed raw with sandpaper.

"Maybe we should get you to a doctor" your eyes were closed once again, you could only tell that Diane sat back down beside you when you felt the bed dip. "No please no" you begged, smothering your face deeper into the pillow. "Just lay with me please."

She sighed but obeyed. She wasn't no doctor so for all she knows, something could be seriously wrong with you but by the looks of it, there was absolutely no way that she could let you leave this house, being in the car would only make everything worse.

You cuddled into Diane's side and she didn't waste any time to wrap her arms around you. "Get some rest my sweet girl" she said with her fingers running through your disheveled hair, adding gentle pressure to your scalp to calm your headache. "I love you" you mumbled sleepily, your voice muffled in Diane's neck. "I love you too sweetheart."