meet me in the afterglow - ally mayfair-richards

requested on tumblr: could you do one where Ally and Y/N used to be academic rivals in college but they always liked each other (in secret), even though they never saw each other again after they graduated, until one day, years later (after Ally got elected), Y/N moved to the house next door and by coincidence she met Ally and Ozzy. They start talking and also by coincidence, they become work colleges and start hanging out and stuff... until one day, Ally invites her for a drink, they got drunk and confess their feelings for each other.

warnings: none

word count: 3198

.   .   .

"Finally," you mumbled to yourself, grunted, and picked up the last heavy box from your trunk. You had spent nearly all afternoon moving these boxing into your new house. After three years of living with your girlfriend, it was finally time to start fresh after the breakup.

You put the heavy box down on the ground so you could close your trunk. You cursed yourself for having so many useless nic-nac's. It just added to the work you had to do with unboxing.

"Need a hand?" You heard a soft voice behind you, in the distance, and heard footsteps approaching. You jumped, startled, but when you turned around, you realized it was certainly nothing to be afraid of.

The woman's smiled faded when she saw your face. Is there something on me? Why is she- "Holy shit, y/n?"

"Ally? Oh my god it's you!" Her smiled grew again, and she unexpectedly pulled you into a hug. It was surprising; you and Ally were never that close in the sense that you both wanted the same thing and that was a problem. Neither of you could ever let a friendship get in the way of success.

"How are you? It's been so long," she asked, pulling back. You finally could see her up close. She looked just as beautiful as the day you met her. Maybe even more with age, you would argue.

"I'm alright, i'm hanging in there. How are you? I heard you're the senator now?"

"Yes, I am! It's been hard to adjust to it with my son and everything but I wouldn't change a thing!" My son. She cannot be married. Something at the thought of this broke you. In college, it was nearly impossible to be with her. You always had it out for each other. But you would still always go back to your dorm room at night and hope that Ally would show up at your door too.

"You have a son?"

"I do; Ozzy. His other mother recently, um, passed away." She didn't seem upset over the subject. More content with the fact that she was mothering him alone. Or, maybe, she was just glad that she could easily get away from a woman that she didn't love anymore. You didn't know, but you certainly wanted to get to know her new life one day.

"Oh i'm so sorry." Without thinking, you grabbed her hand and rubbed your thumb over the soft skin there. She lightly smiled, eyes gleaming in the daylight.

"Thank you, y/n." A brief silence accumulated you both. But then Ally spoke up again, "So, you're moving in?"

"Yep. Having a fresh start. Is that your house?" You pointed to the one across the street. It was a beautiful house. It fit her.

"It is. I guess we're neighbors."

"I guess so." You smiled and Ally imitated your expression. It was silent again before you both said your goodbyes. Before she could even cross the street, however, you called out her name. She quickly turned around, as if she was already waiting for you to stop her. "Can I take you up on that hand? These boxes are super heavy.

Her smiled grew bigger as she walked towards you. You could've imagined it, but you were pretty sure she even winked at you. Maybe your dream you had of her in college was finally manifestation itself years later.
-
"No way. You still have the year book?" Ally laughed as she grabbed it out of your hands. It was hours later. Helping you move the boxes had turned into opening them and looking through all of your shit.