rewrite the stars pt.3 - harriet hayes

summary: you're a new cast member on studio 60. what happens when you stumble upon harriet hayes herself? what will happen if you have to share a dressing room with her.

warnings: none

word count: 1335

.   .   .

"She's awake, she's waking up!" Harriet informed the doctor that stood behind her. Your eyes slowly fluttered open and you instantly met Harriet's. You're memory of what had happened was fuzzy but you put the pieces together that you must've fainted, i mean, why else would you wake up on your dressing room couch, not remembering a thing with a nervous Harriet and a random doctor standing above you.

"Uh...what happened?" You still asked, trying to sit up but the actress was quick to gently push you back down. "You still may be weak, just lay there" she said.

"You fainted. You looked flushed and before i knew it, you just passed right out" she explained. You're eyes slowly wandered down to your hand and that's when it dawned on you that she was holding it.

"What time is it?" you asked, clearing your throat right after. She looked over at the clock before averting her attention back to you "it's almost one" you gasped "Harry, one am? You didn't have to stay with me!"

"Y/n, relax, i have nowhere to be and besides, i wasn't going to leave you here all alone" before you could respond, the doctor had already began to speak "i just have to check your blood pressure and you'll be good to go" Harriet scooted over, making room for the doctor before he wrapped the piece of fabric around your arm, taking a few moments to do what he had to do. The room was quiet, making it a little awkward for all involved. You couldn't get past the fact that Harriet would stay so late with you when she could've just left.

"Alright, blood pressures perfect, you could've just been dehydrated or overwhelmed" you nodded at the doctor and you and Harriet both said your thanks in unison before he walked out of the room, leaving you both alone with each other.

"I better get home" you said but Harriet opposed to it "no way am i letting you drive home y/n, you just fainted not that long ago" you sighed "i'm fine, really" you began to throw your shoes on as you spoke "I couldn't live with myself if something were to happen to you. Please, let me you drive home" she looked so desperate and the longer you gazed into her eyes, the more you felt as if she had you in a trance, you were trapped in her eyes and she had full control over you. You couldn't say no to her.

"Fine but what about my car?"

"I'll just have to pick you up tomorrow morning then" she smiled at you, it was almost like she was teasing you.
____

"Do you think you're up to do the show tomorrow?" Harriet asked. The car was silent and has been the whole car ride, the only noise being heard was the tires gliding along the road and the whooshing sound that cars made as they sped by.

"Yes i'm fine Harry, i think i was just dehydrated" you knew damn well that it wasn't dehydration, memory of what had took place was slowly  coming back to you; it was so overwhelming having Harriet be so close to you that you just couldn't take it and, well, fainted.

"This is it" you pointed to the house just ahead of you, changing the subject. When she pulled beside your house, you both waited a moment before doing or saying anything. Then she looked over at you and her eyes made the stars look like they weren't even shining that bright. "Thank you for everything Harriet, for everything. I don't even know how i could repay you" she beamed at you "you don't have to repay me, it was no big deal i'm just glad that you're okay."

"Alright, well goodnight. Thank you again!" you were about to get out when you felt Harriet grab your wrist. "Wait" she said "um do you want to go to the after party together...tomorrow...with me" she didn't even look you in the eyes, you could see her getting flustered but you couldn't understand why.

"Uh-" you began but she cut you off before you could continue speaking, she was scared of you rejecting her so she downplayed it "As friends of course."

Of course, as friends.

"I would love to, i don't have anyone to go with anyways" you both smiled at each other "well goodnight again" you actually got out of the car this time "goodnight."

She watched as you walked into your house and once you were in, she threw her head on the steering wheel. Why was she feeling this way about you?
____

The following day, you felt so nervous and jittery. You were so scared to totally mess up, mess up and lose your job, mess up and make a fool out of yourself, mess up in front of Harriet. Albeit, you we're lucky enough to have Harriet because she helped you practice your lines, gave you tips and constructive criticism, even words of encouragement to calm you down and you couldn't thank her enough because she was the one to get your through your first show. Your first successful show on Studio 60.

"Should i wear this?" Harriet asked, twirling around in her flowy black dress that she was wearing. It was low cut with lace on the top, a slit on the side of her leg and she pulled it off so beautifully. "Yes one hundred percent! You look so beautiful in it!" she smiled at you before turning back to the mirror to observe herself "do you mind zippering it for me?"

Without another word said, you stood up behind her and separated her hair to each sides of her neck. You watched as goosebumps arose on her skin when your fingers lightly brush against the soft flesh on her back -by accident- only making you let out a chuckle as you zippered her up.

Then you stood behind her in the mirror although you had your eyes on her, she had hers on you. If someone who didn't know you both walked by right now, they would've thought that you were both dating.

"You look stunning, y/n" she said almost breathlessly, looking at you like you were the most perfect, most exquisite creation on earth. As if her eyes shouldn't even be allowed the pleasure of looking at you.

"I could say the same to you."

You watched as her hand slowly made its way to your face. You weren't sure what she was doing at first, not used to such love an affection but then you felt her hand cup you cheek. You instantly melted into her hand as if you were a piece of chocolate being put under extreme heat.

"Harriet, ready to go?" You were almost shocked when you felt Harriet jump away from you so fast at hearing Matts voice. It was like she wasn't even supposed to be seen with you. "Uh well, y/n, i um-" she looked down at her hands, gulping, hesitating to say what she needed but you knew what she was going to say so you saved her the time and stress "it's fine, go ahead" you said, trying to sound careless but sadness laced your voice instead. "Are you-" you cut the woman off "it's fine, go" she looked at you one last time, her eyebrows were knitted together and her eyes were filled with so much sorrow.

You watched as she walked away with Matt. You opted to sit this after party out. Your first show that you were so happy, so proud of was forgotten at the moment, you just wanted to go home and get to bed, forgetting about everything.