Huntress x Male!Vampire!Reader

Red Forest, Ukraine, 1910s

The beast let out a terrible screech. The sound of its hooves slamming against the snow was deafening. This great elk, that I had the displeasure of encountering, had sensed me by it. I froze in pure fear as it reared back and charged at me full sprint. I slipped on the ice and fell to my arse like an idiot. The elk's eyes showed fury and pure rage as it came bounding over. Another roar of anger left its furry lips. It threw its head down and readied its antlers for impact. I threw my arms over my face in a feeble attempt to shield myself from the great elk.

"No!"

Earlier

An aggravated sigh left me as I weaved through paperwork. I ran a hand through my short dark hair and slumped down at the desk. I was supposed to be here to relax, not to work. I lived in Moscow, where I was the administrator to a theatre. I had been there for many years and was a profession that I really enjoyed. But every now and again, I needed a break. I had traveled out of Moscow all the way to Ukraine, where the Red Forest resided. Of course, it wasn't really the 'Red Forest' back then, but you got the idea (this was before all the radiation that turned the trees red). I expected there to be a city or town or something here. Instead, I was met with a tiny village. It was slightly disappointing, but I enjoyed it anyway. I actually quite admired the close knit community they had going on.

There wasn't much to do though, so I begrudgingly continued some duties I had for the theatre. I also ran a few errands that needed to be addressed, even going a little bit out of the village to do so. But now it was nighttime, and I felt cooped up and agitated. I had been filing through paperwork for quite some time now. I dumped the weighty stack of papers onto the desk with a thud. Admiring all my hard work, I decided I deserved a quick break. I pushed out my chair, its wooden legs scraping against the floorboards, and stood to my feet. I planned to go for a little walk, to explore the surrounding forest.

All seemed fine at first. The snow glowed a bright white under the pale moon. My black dress shoes crunched under ice as I admired the auburn trees of the forest. I closed my eyes in pure bliss, simply basking in the moonlight. When my eyes fluttered open once again, they grew terribly wide. Up ahead on the icy path I was following, a great elk stood in the darkness. It was massive, the largest I had seen. Its antlers were overgrown and twisted like dead tree branches. Boy, did they look sharp. Its build was muscular and incredibly tall with a thick layer of matted fur.

I slowly backed away, snow crunching under my feet horrendously loud. I winced and screwed my eyes shut at the noise. Though the elk was far, I could hear its heavy breathing and the cold air puff around it. I continued to back away down the path as quietly as the snow would let me. Just as I thought I was going to escape unnoticed, I stepped on an ungodly twig.

Snap!

I choked out a gasp, frosty air escaping my blue lips. The elk whipped around, not thinking twice about charging. It shrieked in anger and readied its splintery antlers. You already knew the story; I slipped on my butt and cried out in fear.

Yada, yada, yada. I was gonna die a horrible death. You got the point.

"No!" I yelled in sheer terror.

I cowered and desperately tried not to cry into my hands that were shielding my face. The elk's footsteps were coming from just metres away.

Oh, god. I am going to get trampled on. What a ghastly way to go.

Instead, the elk let out a loud roar of what sounded like agony. I threw my hands away from my face looked up. The elk fell to its side, right in front of me. I quickly scuttled away on my back, kicking up cold snow. I scrambled to my feet, brushing the snow off my suit. The elk cried out in pain, panting heavily. I walked around the big animal, noticing blood pouring from its side. My brows rose when I spotted what appeared to be a hatchet, sticking out of the elk's broken ribs.