Huntress x Fem!Soldier!Reader 2

My shoulders were wracked with wheezy sobs that almost fell silent. My body was stuck leaning into the chest of this large woman. My side was killing me and I was unsure how I would recover from the wound, if I did at all. Her humming and the crackling fire had drowned out the sound of my crying. I stared wide eyed at the fire burning with my teary orbs. I heaved, trying to choke down the panic attack that was brewing within. The woman's hand hovered over my face, and I flinched back into her chest. Her fingers ran through my hair, petting my scalp. Stray tears streamed down my cheeks as a look of sheer horror met my face.

"Please," I whispered. "Just let me go."

I was well aware that she couldn't understand me.

"Medvezhonok?" The woman asked.

She adjusted herself slightly to look down at me. Her hands met my shoulders, where she gripped them tightly. I screwed my eyes shut and bowed my head in despair, shaking it. The teddy bear laid on the floor forgotten.

"No... let me go." I sobbed.

The woman pulled me fully away from her chest and stroked my cheek almost lovingly. She swiped my tears off my cheeks with her thumbs.

"Simpatichnaya." She declared.

I actually knew what that meant. It was Russian for 'pretty'. I watched on in astonishment as the woman caressed my feminine features with a sick smile on her own. Suddenly the tears stopped. My eyes met her own from behind that horse mask. Dark, cold and almost lifeless. My broken body was hit with a horrible feeling. I was stuck here, and there was no way that I would ever get to go back to my normal life.

A fate worse than the war.

I hung my head again.

One week later

I heard a thud from outside. I limped towards the door, dragging my leg along the floorboards. I gently pushed it open, a loud creak groaning out along with it. I instantly spotted who was making the noise. There in the snow was a large woman and the body of an elk.

"Anna," I greeted.

Anna peered up from the dead animal at me with a surprised expression behind her mask. My own name fell from her lips.

"Dinner?" I asked.

She opened her mouth to say something but then paused.

"Dinner..." she stuttered.

I hadn't been here with Anna for very long but I was trying to teach her English and also a bit of German. She nodded to herself and pointed at the elk that laid in the snow. I wanted to help her carry it inside but I was in no shape or form capable with such a wound like my own. Anna had replaced the old bandages with thicker ones. My blood still seeped through sometimes, given that I had no actual treatment from a medic or anything. At least I was away from the war now. I had no idea what had happened to the rest of my comrades, or the Russians. Anna seemingly had killed them all off. Any survivors were ones that were in hiding.

I limped back into the cabin to escape the freezing cold of the outdoors. Anna hoisted the elk up onto her broad shoulder and followed after me like a lost puppy. We both entered the kitchen and I approached the table. I lowered myself into a chair with a pained grunt. I plopped down into the wooden seat and clutched my bloody side.

Anna thrusted the elk's corpse onto the table. I jolted up in surprise, hissing when I felt myself open my wound a little. She admired her kill with a smirk on her face. I sighed softly at the sight of the animal that laid on the table in front of me. A deep hatchet wound that gushed blood adorned its side.

Just like me.

"Dinner." Anna muttered to herself.

I nodded my head in acknowledgment.

"Yes."

The sun set in an array of oranges and pinks. Gentle snow fell from above down into the quiet forest. There was definitely no more war here. Anna and I had just finished dinner, and I was now sitting on the porch. I snuggled into my uniform, trying to get warm. I gazed off into the woods that was slowly becoming blanketed by the night's darkness.

I should run. I thought.

I should escape. Get out of here and never come back.

But how? There was no way I could run that far with this grisly wound. Where would I even go? What would I do? I would surely die. That seemed like my fate no matter what I did though.

"Medvezhonok?" I heard Anna call from inside.

I was about to get up and go to her but she came outside instead. She said my name, leering over me from where I sat.

"Hello." I uttered.

The old porch whined under Anna's boots as she walked over and sat next to me. I tried to hide my petite shivers from the Russian, but I was freezing. I rubbed my sleeves furiously in a feeble attempt to keep warm. Anna was quick to realise and threw her arm around my shoulder, pulling me into her side. She opened her mouth to say something again, stumbling over her words.

"Bear..." she stammered.

I nodded my head, beckoning her to continue. She placed her hand on top of my head, messily petting my hair like a child to a dog.

"Bear cub." Anna said.

"Yes," I replied deadpanned.

The warmth of her body was eerily comforting for me. I sadly leaned into her side without thinking. Anna's hand tangled into my hair until it became a mess. I thought she did it on purpose to be playful.

"Yes," I said again. "I'm your bear cub."

Anna smiled, and a frown met my face.