TwilightSwarm!Deathslinger x Insomniac!Reader (platonic)

I curled up into a little ball on the old mattress I had here in my realm with me. It laid by a fire bucket, that currently roared with lively flames. My bloody weapon sat next to the mattress, frozen in a docile state. It was nice to relax from trials—have a rest.

Too bad I couldn't fucking sleep.

My murderous eyes ripped open. I unwound from my ball and sprawled my limbs out along the mattress. My chest deflated as I exhaled, my eyes fluttering shut again. I laid there comfortably for a few moments...

Nope.

"Ugh! Can't sleep. Can't sleep. Can't sleep!" I hissed.

I shot up into a seated position. I gazed at the fire bucket longingly. I brought my hands up to rub my tired eyes as a yawn left my lips. I could never fall asleep here. Which was weird, since it was my realm. But also not that weird. Insomnia had been a big part of my life for a very long time. Arriving at the Entity's realm and transforming into a killer definitely didn't help either. It only made it worse. A frustrated sigh left me. I just wanted to have a little rest before I had to go back on trial again. I hated hunting down survivors when all tired and groggy. Ugh! I just could never fall asleep here!

My eyes widened as an idea popped into my head. But I knew somewhere I could! Well, sometimes. I stuffed an arm under the old mattress and fished out a bullet. I held it in my palm, inspecting its scuffed metal. It was something I picked up from Dead Dawg Saloon when I had a trial there last. That was the realm my friend Caleb Quinn resided in. I didn't know why but if I was going to sleep anywhere, the saloon was my best bet. I guessed I just liked the atmosphere. Or maybe it was because it was the only realm with a pretty starry sky. I tossed the bullet into the fire, hearing it clang against the bucket. The fog whispered darkly into my ear as it took over my body.

When the fog cleared, I found my feet walking towards a dusty old saloon. I smiled like an idiot and hurried up the stairs. I swung open the doors and was greeting by the Deathslinger sitting by the bar, having a drink.

"Hey, Caleb."

"Howdy."

"Whoa."

I strode on over and plopped down on the barstool next to his. Caleb looked different from when I saw him last. Dozens of moths crawled all over him. They were an infestation, nesting and growing in his flesh and clothes. It didn't take a genius to know that this was the Entity's doing.

"You got a few little friends there." I blurted out.

Caleb offered a grunt and took a sip of his drink. He set the glass down on the bar and stared at the bottom of it through a furrowed brow. A moth fluttered down and perched on the brim.

"Having trouble sleeping again?" The Deathslinger asked.

I set my elbow down on the bar and rested my head in my palm tiredly. I met my friend's glowing eyes in a lazy stare.

"Always." I croaked.

"Hm." He grunted again.

"I'm surprised you're here. You're usually off in a trial somewhere. Or there's one here." I said.

"We all need a rest." Caleb smiled a little.

"Yeah, I wish." I too smiled sadly.

The fellow killer's shoulders shook in a raspy chuckle. He took another swig of his drink.

"Go get some shuteye. You look mighty tired." He said.

I instinctively rubbed my eyes at that. Dark circles adorned my sunken face almost permanently nowadays.

"It's what makes me scary." I joked.

The Deathslinger and I laughed together, enjoying each other's company. It was good to have a friend here. A moth fell into his glass, drowning in whiskey. The man grimaced in disgust before chucking the cup over the bar. It smashed onto the floor where we couldn't see. I giggled at his recklessness.

"Okay." I sighed.

I slid off my barstool and made my way to a dark corner of the saloon. There were a few scratchy blankets and stained pillows strewn about. Caleb had set this corner up for me when I kept coming back to his realm to rest. It was pretty sweet of him. I curled up against the slightly soft bedding and closed my eyes. The Deathslinger was still at the bar, fetching himself another drink.

I felt exhausted but my body still persisted on staying awake. The gentle breeze outside whistled through the holes and cracks of the saloon. The floorboards creaked softly under Caleb's quiet footsteps. The weirdly peaceful atmosphere relaxed me as my breathing slowed. I snuggled against the pillows and rolled over to face the wall.

One last yawn left me, and then I drifted off into a well deserved slumber.

I awoke hours later to something crawling on my face. I was quick to brush it off and tear my eyes open. A moth flew away from me and landed on the bar. Another fluttered onto my hand, opening its massive wings to show me its pretty design. I gently shooed it away, where it joined the other. I glanced down when I noticed that I had been blanketed by something. Caleb's leather coat had been lovingly draped over me while I was sleeping. The only downside was the swarm of moths that crawled in and out of it (and all over me). I glanced up and around, but the man was nowhere to be seen. I still smiled dumbly at the gesture.

That Caleb Quinn was a true friend.